What's new
What's new

clausing 6900 tailstock slipping need tighting

fest777

Plastic
can anyone tell me how to adjust tail stock on 6900 ser. clausing. its slipping when i try to drill thanks anthony

can anyone tell me how to adjust tail stock on 6900 ser. clausing. its slipping when i try to drill thanks anthony

Most likely a nut or two under the tailstock that adjusts slack in the clamping bracket. If that seems adjusted ok when you lock the tailstock but it still slips, it might be that the clamping bracket is bottoming out due to wear. Taking 0.020" or so off of the top of the clamp bracket, so it's just clears when locked should have it locking ok again.

Best to disassemble and understand exactly how the clamp works.
I had a 15" Japanese lathe with wonky tailstock clamp.
Turns out the main body casting was cracked... Hope that's not the case with yours.

thanks for the reply's , this morning with more light i see a nut under the cam , its very touchy just a little too much and it does not work right thanks anthony

As the others suggest, remove it and clean it up, understand how it works. Then assemble it on the far end so you can look under there when making the adjustments. If it is really worn it may not be clamping on the ways, so be a detective and use a .002" feeler gage and test to be sure it is touching and clamping where it should.

Back