What's new
What's new

Cleaning up marks on quill

SirRage

Aluminum
I've done some initial cleaning up with WD40, but there are these dark marks streak marks on the quill. Is there anything that I can do about them? the quill itself feels really smooth so I don't think there is any pitting or gouging on it.

Attachments

• quill.jpg
    quill.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 121
If the quill feeds fine I wouldn't worry about the marks; it's probably just staining. If you really feel that you must
clean them up I would try some fine steel wool to see what it does. Do not be tempted to use anything abrasive
like Scotchbrite or even really fine emery cloth because it will remove some metal...

It there is no feel to the marks they may be bluing marks made by certain oils. the bluing is like gum blue not the blue used for layout. to polish it away would take stock so I would not likely do that. stock removed might be .0002 or so (just guessing).

Might chuck the nose in a lathe and use some polishing grit paper to one way polish. that os polishing with the paper going one direction to make a very nice looking OD.

It there is no feel to the marks they may be bluing marks made by certain oils. the bluing is like gum blue not the blue used for layout. to polish it away would take stock so I would not likely do that. stock removed might be .0002 or so (just guessing).

Might chuck the nose in a lathe and use some polishing grit paper to one way polish. that os polishing with the paper going one direction to make a very nice looking OD.

Sounds like you want it both ways, don't polish, polish the shit out of it. Which is it?

Back