What's new
What's new

Clicking noise when saw is running - is it ok?

Tereci

Plastic
Hi,

I recently got a few years old lapidary saw. I noticed that when I start it the saw makes clicking noises. Based on my experience with other saws I don't think it's completely normal but I am not able to tell what might be wrong.

I took a video where you can hear the noises and see the belt + bearings.
If anybody has any idea what might be wrong (if anything) and how to fix it, please let me know!

Thank you,
Tereza.

I don't hear any "clicking", just bearing whir. Which does seem loud to me, but it's tough to judge from a video due to microphone pickup variations.

It's likely a pain to replace the bearings, if the machine is still working as you need I'd just use it.

I also don't see a saw, just grinding wheels of differing grit (I'd guess). Is the wheel on the far right the saw?

It's all for hand work? Be careful...

@Milland
I actually messed up and grabbed the wrong video - sorry! :willy_nilly:
I edited my original post and put in the right one. If you a have a minute I'd be grateful if you give it a look and tell me what you think. This time it's the saw and the clicking should be easy to hear.

Heh. Well, that's different, isn't it?

Yeah, that clicking is pretty obvious, but what specifically is doing it isn't clear. I'd call it "not normal" for a rolling element bearing, so it could be either a loose part in the system bouncing around, or a bearing shield rubbing on the inner race, or the pulley is loose and shifting as it's driven by the belt.

Or something else. Tough to tell...

This machine I'm a little more concerned about you using as is, at least in part because I'm not impressed with the design of the arbor and support. There's not much spacing between the bearings, and the arbor sticks out a fair bit beyond and has a large saw on it, which means there's a lot of leverage on the whole system. Jamming a stone on the wheel could torque things in unpleasant ways.

If you're not comfortable tearing it down and trying to isolate parts to figure out the issue, you could try a general repair shop (if they exist in CA), but the cost may be more than the item is worth.

I presume there's a sliding top or something to actually hold the workpiece?

I took the saw apart a bit more and tightened everything up... the sound went away :) so it were either lose pillow blocks that hold the bearings or the pulley that sits in between them.

Now to saw cuts great.

Thank you for the advice.

Back