What's new
What's new

CM Lodestar Model R

Geoff Hand

Plastic
Hi All
I am a new boy to this site, and am hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I have with a CM Lodestar 2 Tonne chain hoist, Model R manufactured December 2006. It is a 110 volt unit and has probably only been used half a dozen times. The unit blew the motor start capacitor, which I replaced, and then which blew again. It appears that the power to the motor start capacitor is not cutting off once the motor has started, causing the capacitor to be constantly powered up. Does anybody know in what form the switching is for the capacitor, I cannot see any form of centrifugal switch. Looking at the wiring diagrams, it appears that the switching might be via a unit which is designated a `solid state reverse switch`. Does anybody know if this is the switch controlling the motor start capacitor. I dont really want to replace this switch if it is nothing to do with the problem.
If anybody can point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.
Geoff

Columbus McKinnon:
Document Library: Search for Images & Resources | Columbus McKinnon
Click on the image for your region.

If you can get to this site go here and click on Lodestar 627. I think this might be your manual.
Manuals, Technical Information and Wiring Diagrams | Hoists Direct

Attached are some screen-shots from that manual.
View attachment 306213View attachment 306214View attachment 306215View attachment 306216View attachment 306217
Should be two capacitors, Start and Run. Found on page EN 78 on the manual.
Check the air gap for the electric brake per the manual.
Cheers, John
Hi John, Thanks for replying. I have found the wiring diagram, which I think I have attached. But my question is does the solid state reverse switch control power to the start capacitor, which seems to be constantly powered up and blows. Sorry not very good at deciphering wiring diagrams.
Many Thanks GeoffScreenshot (4).jpg

Hey Geoff,
Knowing the run sequence might help.
Pressing up or down on the control pendant will release the brake and energize the start capacitor simultaneously.
If the brake does not release, the motor will still be energized and unable to rotate.

"does the solid state reverse switch control power to the start capacitor?"
An electrical tech would have a better answer than I.
Once the motor spools up the start capacitor should drop out of the circuit.

Raises a question...Does the motor rotate freely with the brake released?
Attached are Brake air gap setting and Reversing switch test procedures.
I do not have a schematic for the reversing switch, probably proprietary secret info.

The wiring diagram image you posted is too small but it seems to match the diagram I attached.
CM usually puts the wiring diagram for each unit in one of the end covers.
Regarding the composition of the brake material...might be asbestos so be aware.
These are pretty good hoists and usually have minimal problems.
CM Brake Air Gap Adjustment.JPGCM Reverse Switch Test.jpgCM Solid State Reversing Switch.jpgCM Trouble.JPGCM Model R Electrical Data.JPG
John

Hey Geoff,
Knowing the run sequence might help.
Pressing up or down on the control pendant will release the brake and energize the start capacitor simultaneously.
If the brake does not release, the motor will still be energized and unable to rotate.

"does the solid state reverse switch control power to the start capacitor?"
An electrical tech would have a better answer than I.
Once the motor spools up the start capacitor should drop out of the circuit.

Raises a question...Does the motor rotate freely with the brake released?
Attached are Brake air gap setting and Reversing switch test procedures.
I do not have a schematic for the reversing switch, probably proprietary secret info.

The wiring diagram image you posted is too small but it seems to match the diagram I attached.
CM usually puts the wiring diagram for each unit in one of the end covers.
Regarding the composition of the brake material...might be asbestos so be aware.
These are pretty good hoists and usually have minimal problems.
View attachment 306555View attachment 306556View attachment 306557View attachment 306559View attachment 306560
John
Hi John
Thanks for the reply. Pressing the up or down button does release the brake, and the motor turns freely, but the start capacitor is not dropping out of the circuit. I have checked the air gap on the brake, which is correct and is working properly. The problem seems to be that there is constant power to the start capacitor, causing it to blow. I cannot see any form of switch, which would cut the start capacitor out of the circuit once the motor has started, apart from this `solid state reverse switch`. So I am suspecting that is where the fault lies, purely because there does not appear to be anything else that could do the switching. The wiring diagram does show wires going from the solid state reverse switch going to the capacitor. I have read the instructions for testing the switch and will try that over the weekend.
Many Thanks
Geoff

Back