What's new
What's new

Colchester Bantam MK1 Camlock key size

RNR

Plastic
Hi all,
I don't have a key for the Camlock of my lathe, and there is currently a chuck attached to it which makes it very difficult to measure the square hole size...
Any body with a MK1 Bantam could measure and / or tell me what size of key do I need ? (square flat to flat)

Thanks!
Laurent

Take a 7" or so length of 5/8" Mild steel or better, turn down 1 end for a distance of 1/2"" until it just fits in the camlock square. Measure the dia. to give you the across flats dimension of the square. Part off the turned down piece then mill or even file the correct size square. Cross drill the other end for a tommy bar and you are done. I made one out of MS 5 yrs ago despite concerns of it wearing is still perfectly serviceable.

Oh and another thing, once you have slackened off the cams put a 10" or so" bar in the jaws with say 8" protruding and tighten it up. Put something (wood is good) on the ways below the chuck in case it comes off undexcetedly. Grab the bar at the tailstock end and wiggle (or with a bit more force) it radially it to free the chuck.

Don't over do it if it won't come off get back onthe forum for more advice

Learn't that tip on this forum

Take a 7" or so length of 5/8" Mild steel or better, turn down 1 end for a distance of 1/2"" until it just fits in the camlock square. Measure the dia. to give you the across flats dimension of the square. Part off the turned down piece then mill or even file the correct size square. Cross drill the other end for a tommy bar and you are done. I made one out of MS 5 yrs ago despite concerns of it wearing is still perfectly serviceable.

Thanks mate!
If only I had a working lathe.... :rolleyes5: Once I have my Bantam running that won't be a problem...
I have access to a Harrison at work but I mine is at home miles away.

Now that is brilliant mate! :) Thanks!

:)

Shudda followed it meself, years ago.

"Store-bought" one of every square-tipped wrench size in the catalog, instead.

Mind - I have over a dozen chucks, and not all came with key/wrench, so it all came out rather good after all!

TIME.. to make stuff should be applied to where there's real gain. Stuff one cannot afford or cannot buy at any price. Commodity chuck wrenches are not on that list.

Otherwise, one can too easily run out of time (ever try to buy it BACK, once wasted?) before any of the "big important stuff" ever gets done.

I believe the Bantam is D1-3 spindle nose = 5/16" square wrench size. I made some out of oversize T handle allen wrenches for both D1-3 and D1-4 spindles and a indexer on a mill, show no signs of wear after years of use and no worry of twisting the square on them either. Never was satisfied with the quality of after market T handle square wrenches offered in the supplier catalogues.
Dan

Hi all,
Last night I tried Thermite drill bits trick.
It turned out 5/16" is too slack, 11/32" doesn't fit. Looks like 21/64" is about right...
Strange size for a Cam Lock key but, no matter I'll make one that fits...

Thanks for all your help once again!
Laurent

Back