What's new
What's new

Colchester Chipmaster Headstock Oil

Dantheman84

Plastic
Hi there,
Just wondering what those who have Chipmasters are using for headstock oil? The manual calls for Shell Tellus 15. The equivalent for this now is Shell Morlina S2 BL10. I can only purchase a 20 litre drum of this in Australia. Is there any other suitable equivalent that I could purchase in a smaller quantity. Just wanted to know what other Chippie owners are using in their headstock? Also does anyone know how much oil the headstock takes to fill?
Thanks for any help
Daniel

These guys cross-reference Tellus 15 to Mobil Velocite 6, which is available by the gallon from MSC and folks like that. I recall that the viscosity is not an exact match, and I ended up with something like a blend of 85% Velocite 6 and 15% Velocite 10 for my Chipmaster. I am going off the top of my head. I used the "vis blending" formulas to blend the ISO viscosity in centistokes of the two oils to match the viscosity of Tellus 15.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/esso-lubricant-equivalents-349680/#post3165861

Hi Daniel,

my Chipmaster's serial number starts with the letter "F". That means: it has the older feed-gearbox without an additional inner support of the shafts.

Headstock: 2177 mL of any "spindle oil" (based on mineral oil) with viscosity ISO VG 10
Gearbox: 1248 mL of "bedway oil" with viscosity ISO VG 68
Variator: 895 mL of "Shell Morlina S2 BL10"

For the variator there is no equivalent to Shell Morlina S2BL10:
http://www.allspeeds.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/whichoilshouldiuse.pdf

Every 500 - 600 hours, the variator needs new oil:
- drain the used oil
- flushing with 0,9 L new S2BL10
- drain the flushing oil
- fill with 0,9 L new S2BL10

The maintainance interval of the variator is the main reason, why I installed a operation-hour counter to see, how many hours the motor ran.

If Shell Morlina S2BL10 will be filled in the headstock every 1000 hours (guessed) and in the variator as recommended by the manufacturer, 20 Liter will be empty after approximate 3500 hours.

Some time ago, I bought 20 L of Shell Morlina S2BL10. Most of the 20 L I sold to other Chipmaster owners, but I didn't realize early enough, to keep enough oil for the flushings ... Next time - in some years, I will buy 20 L again.

Cheers,
Karl

In many of the under 1000 RPM lathes we would use Vactra 2 oil in the head stocks too as we liked the idea it would stick un the gears and bearings when it wasn't running. Also be sure to warm up the lathe spindle for a few minutes before going to the highest RPM

In many of the under 1000 RPM lathes we would use Vactra 2 oil in the head stocks too as we liked the idea it would stick un the gears and bearings when it wasn't running. Also be sure to warm up the lathe spindle for a few minutes before going to the highest RPM

The Chippie has tapered roller bearings and runs up to a little over 3,000 RPM, so needs very low viscosity oil to avoid cooking the bearings churning thick oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all for the very helpful info, it is much appreciated. It's a bit of a nuisance that this particular oil is difficult to get hold of here in Australia in smaller quantities. Looks like I may have to buy a 20 litre drum of Shell Morlina then!! I will post some pics of my lathe soon as I have almost finished putting it back together after some maintenance:)

Hi there,
Just wondering what those who have Chipmasters are using for headstock oil? The manual calls for Shell Tellus 15. The equivalent for this now is Shell Morlina S2 BL10. I can only purchase a 20 litre drum of this in Australia. Is there any other suitable equivalent that I could purchase in a smaller quantity. Just wanted to know what other Chippie owners are using in their headstock? Also does anyone know how much oil the headstock takes to fill?
Thanks for any help
Daniel
Hi I have a chipmaster continental
The head stock takes ISO 32 which is slide way oil
The gear box takes ISO68
Hope this helps
Regards
Steve

Hi this is not misinformation this is what I use in my Chipmaster I’ve been using this for quite a while & it works fine
Milly
I have a Chipmaster Continental and the original manual, that came with the machine, stating Headstock: Shell Tellus Oil 15, Gearbox: Shell Tellus Oil 33. Variator: Shell Vitrea Oil 21. In later years Shell changed to ISO labelling of their oil grades which led to some confusion. The viscosities of the original oils are given in the manual as Redwood #1 : at 70 F 100secs 750secs 160secs , at 140 F 42 secs 112secs 50secs respectively. You can see the trend of convergence for the headstock/variator hence the later manufacturer's recommendation of Morlina 10 for both.
The labelling transition actually went: Tellus 15 -> Tellus C10 -> Morlina 10 -> Morlina S2 BL 10 . The thing to to note is that originally the viscosity of the recommended headstock oil was LOWER than that for the variator. The final recommendation was 'same for both'.

Looking for the word 'Chipmaster' in that advice, & wondering if ISO 32 was Westway's answer for Colchester manual lathes in general, all of which have lower top spindle speeds than the Chipmaster. BTW Hydraulic Oil ISO 32 isn't 'slide way' oil.

Looking for the word 'Chipmaster' in that advice, & wondering if ISO 32 was Westway's answer for Colchester manual lathes in general, all of which have lower top spindle speeds than the Chipmaster. BTW Hydraulic Oil ISO 32 isn't 'slide way' oil.
Look the lad asked for advice on oil I told him what I use in my lathe weather he takes my advice or not is up to him
Get over it

A guy can do whatever he wants with his own machine, but ignoring manufacturers recommendations isn’t wise. A Chippie is a relatively high speed lathe, use the correct headstock oil. That’s what I do with my machine.

Back