What's new
What's new

correct oil for for 1969 mas vr4 drill press

Hdyoung08

Plastic
Good morning guys,

i have a 1969 mas vr4 drill press, im trying to find the correct oil that goes in the gearbox i have contacted the company several times with no response. i have also searched online for a week lookking for a manual with no luck. if anyone has any info on this i would greatly appreciate it.

I was just looking on the net and discovered a Mas is a radial arm drill. I found one legend on a Carlton Radial drill headstock oil it says "use a high grade non corrosive - EP lubricant - viscosity 5 UV 125 - 150 SEC AT 210 F, SAE # 70.. I have used Mobil Vactra 2 for many things, ways, headstocks, aprons and have never had issues. I spend 1/2 hour looking at manuals on Vintagemachinery.org

Good morning guys,

i have a 1969 mas vr4 drill press, im trying to find the correct oil that goes in the gearbox i have contacted the company several times with no response. i have also searched online for a week lookking for a manual with no luck. if anyone has any info on this i would greatly appreciate it.
I found the manual for my mas vr4 in England. If your still looking I will get you the info. I needed the manual to hopefully help me how to figure out how the speed change worked. I have taken it apart and still cant figure out why it doesnt work correctly. Do you know anyone that may know something about these machines? Thanks Ricky

Thick gear old like a 90 weight works fine. I think you’ll find why it was empty once you fill it up again…

Ricky what’s the problem with your VR4? Is it like the VR6 with the speed selector type writer style buttons?

No, Its the YR4. When you turn/spin the speed selector it doesnt change the speed after engaging the clutch lever. I've pulled the speed/feed box out and I still can't figure out how its suppose to work. The small gear on the inside spins but I don't see how it suppose to change the gears to change the speed. I don't see anything broke such as a key or pin.

I really really hate gear lube, its nasty smelly stuff that try to stay away from. If I was going in blind then I'd bet it calls for an ISO-68 machine oil. Example being Mobil DTE Heavy Medium. If it leaks like sieve step up to an ISO-100 oil.

No, Its the YR4. When you turn/spin the speed selector it doesnt change the speed after engaging the clutch lever. I've pulled the speed/feed box out and I still can't figure out how its suppose to work. The small gear on the inside spins but I don't see how it suppose to change the gears to change the speed. I don't see anything broke such as a key or pin.
Pictures would help us to identify the operation and help you to solve this.

Also, resurrecting old threads about a different topic isn't as helpful as you think. Start a new thread with your issue, otherwise you are going to confuse people and they are going to recommend oil instead of help you with a gearbox.

Back