What's new
What's new

Cost for Rewind?

Hoover300

Plastic
Hello all!
I am repairing an antique Brilliant vacuum, and it only had one wire going into the stator. It had a small rubber box coated in metal bolted next to it, which had one going into and one coming out of it. The wiring was very confusing but pretty much everything tells me there is supposed to be 2 going in there. Also, one of the brush wires pulled right out when I took it apart. It is a rather small motor, and no replacements are available as it is literally one of two known in the world. The ratings are AC 110, 60 cycles. What would an estimate be for a rewind?
Thank you!

Cannot help with cost of rewind, best to take it to your local rewind shop (if there is one) for an estimate. For the carbon brushes you can get some slightly larger, then machine or file them to size.

Please read the rules before posting again, since this is not machine related, you should have added OT (off topic) at beginning of title.

There is a sub forum here about electrical issues try that

I got a quote about 2 years ago for rewinding a 7.5 hp two speed 240v 3 ph motor at 1400$
It was cheaper to buy a new one...

Assuming you wish to keep it original, you may wish to contact a number vacuum repair shops. Almost all that I have been in are run by hoarders, you may find an OEM replacement.
We use Jarvis in N.J., always a good job at a reasonable price.

As this is quite rare, perhaps you want to talk with a few museum conservators first before you do anything. If you want to maintain its status as "original", you need to recreate the wiring as close as possible to OEM, so a simple rewind may not be the way to go (they may not replicate original methods, wire size and type of insulation, etc.).

Another reference may be patent searches, talking with the Smithsonian Institution, or maybe there's clubs or collector associations for antique appliances?

If you just want it to function again, then sure, check into rewinding.

Back