Curtis air compressor rebuild question
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Curtis air compressor rebuild question

I bought a used Curtis compressor a while back. It is a C 98. It was running when I bought it but it was under a lean to on the side of the guys building. It came up to pressure fine and seemed to operate as I think it should but it looks rough.
    I would like to have it gone over by someone that is more knowledgeable about these than myself.
    I am going to replace my Ingersol Rand 5 HP vertical unit with this one. The IR just isn't made for the strain I am putting it under.
    Can anyone recommend a reputable outfit that would be able to handle this. If it needs to be rebuilt that's fine I just want it to get done right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone here rebuilt one of these? If I attempt to do it does anyone know of a good source for parts or info about these?curtis-2.jpgcurtis-1.jpg20181106_114042.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never a Curtiss, but I've rebuilt several compressors of same vintage. If you've rebuilt an engine, you can rebuild a compressor. Google showed several suppliers for Curtiss parts, if they do not carry parts for that model you are stuck with disassembling, then searching for parts by dimensions. Unless you find something wrong internally, you can probably get by with a valve job and some new rings, and maybe a set of main (roller) bearings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd give it a good inspection, check bearings and journals, wouldn't rebuild the bottom end unless warranted. Take the head apart and clean the valves, they get gummy from years of oil residue and whatever.