What's new
What's new

The Dang Can opener(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRHill

Plastic
I think most of us have been there - you have several can openers and not a darned one will open a can without climbing out of the cut. The wife asked, believe it or not, for a manual can opener that works, for her BD. I looked at several on line and they all look like the same junk. So I picked the best one from the drawer. I mounted the cutting wheel on an arbor and refinished the edge on the chain saw blade sharpener. But it was lacking in what I saw when inspected. No sharpening of the fairly decent steel of the cutting wheel mattered. It was the straight knurled wheel that grips the underside of the lip that slips and causes the climb off the lid. It is soft junk.

So, my machinist friends, without access to a metal lathe in my days of retirement, how do you keep the spousal unit happy with a can opener that actually works?

No, this isn't the biggest problem in life but is is a recurring annoyance.

Best,
JRH

Get one of these from these guys, (sierra trading post) they only sell made in USA stuff and this will make her VERY HAPPY. This is so nice you will want to open the cans for her...
Can Openers
A chef buddy of mine owned a food truck and he was over and I told him this was a great can opener- he said WTF it's just another can opener- until he used it to open a can. Then he agreed...

If you have an old swing-a-way opener they also have new parts to bring it back to new.

Here is a link to the machine shop that makes them (in USA) :
About - John J. Steuby Company

We have one where the cutting wheel cuts into the side of the seam instead of the top of the lid. It's a brilliant idea. The lid and the body come apart with no sharp edges! Wasn't a major brand name, so I can't make a recommendation or find a replacement unless the local Lidl store has a repeat of the product.

We have one where the cutting wheel cuts into the side of the seam instead of the top of the lid. It's a brilliant idea. The lid and the body come apart with no sharp edges! Wasn't a major brand name, so I can't make a recommendation or find a replacement unless the local Lidl store has a repeat of the product.

Yep that's the same as what we have.

Get one of these from these guys, (sierra trading post) they only sell made in USA stuff and this will make her VERY HAPPY. This is so nice you will want to open the cans for her...
Can Openers
A chef buddy of mine owned a food truck and he was over and I told him this was a great can opener- he said WTF it's just another can opener- until he used it to open a can. Then he agreed...

If you have an old swing-a-way opener they also have new parts to bring it back to new.

Here is a link to the machine shop that makes them (in USA) :
About - John J. Steuby Company

I bought the wife one over 10 years ago, it's perfect in every way. we threw away about 6 other can openers we had collected a few weeks after we got the Ez-duz-It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back