What's new
What's new

Dangerous or not?? 2K Paints

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folks

It's years (20+) since I sprayed a machine and then it was Cellulose based paint.

I now have some time to spray my lathe and hopefully my mill too.

I'm looking at using 2k Acrylic but there seems to be lots of maybe "Scare mungering" threads on the net. Fore instance ... Do I really need an air forced face mask?

I'm planning to spray in the open ... any advise greatly received

Thanks

John:typing:

John,

You absolutely need a mask for 2k paints, even for the Duasolid (look at the safety data sheet!). Isocyanates and their relatives do permanent injury to your body or kill you.

If you are working outdoors and not doing this on a steady basis, I suggest a 3M disposable half mask (covers your nose and mouth, has a valve). These cost around 25+ pounds in the UK. See here for a description of the different types of filters that are available: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/439882O/3mtm-filter-fitting-data-sheet.pdf

At the end of that filter data sheet is the following phone UK number which you can call to get advice about which mask to get 0870 60 800 60. I suggest you double-check what I am telling you here.

I did my 2K painting with a 3M halfmask model 4255, FFA2P3RD, which is rated for organic gases and mists and particles. I can see these for sale new on ebay.co.uk for around 25 quid including shipping.

When you are not using the mask, keep it sealed in its ziplock bag so it does not absorb trace chemicals from the environment and saturate the filters. If you can smell or taste any solvents with the mask on, it means that either it is leaking (unlikely if adjusted properly) or that the filters are saturated (toss and replace).

Stay safe, it's hard to use your mill from an oxygen tent or a coffin.

Cheers, Bruce

Last edited:
Hi Bruce

Thank you for taking the time to reply - sincerely appreciated!

I was actually looking at the 3M Half mask earlier this evening. I know most adverts / data sheets recommend air fed masks but I can't help thinking that working outside and spraying with care I should be able to use the half mask or the M6800 full face mask.

The note on mask storage is a welcomed gem too!

BTW are you still trading with Franz?

All the best

John :cheers:

Theres a lot of ott fear and poor understanding out there imo.
The 3M cartridge mask Ballen mentioned does fine in most situations, air feds dont come without problems, can even be worse with poor setup.

If you like give us a buzz and ill run through some things, pm incoming.

Cheers D

Thank you for taking the time to reply - sincerely appreciated!

You're welcome.

The note on mask storage is a welcomed gem too!

I can't take credit -- please read the 3M instructions :)

BTW are you still trading with Franz?

I still drop by to visit Franz & Co when I am in the area. But for the past couple of years I have only used my FP2, not worked on it or purchased tooling. So our "trading" is more along the lines of I bring a box of sweet rolls, they provide coffee.

Cheers,
Bruce

I have two masks, the 3M 7502 and full face mask 3M 6892. I use organic vapor cartridges, 3M 6059 is the code for the ones I have. And additional P100 particle filters can be added on.

Most of the time I also have smaller 3M P100 2097 filters on the half mask. I used the half mask last time I painted, I used a brush rather than spray though. Next time I plan to spray and I will do it outside and use the full face mask.

CJDapvT.png

It is a little more effort, but I remove the filters from the mask when I am done for the day and store them wrapped in a plastic or zip-loc bag as well. I don't like to store the whole mask wrapped up, because it's been breathed into and is full of moisture and stuff, I rather leave it out to dry than seal it up.

The mask i use for painting had some pretty big filters on it, stacked a particulate and a activated one read the instructions on the mask they state what it is safe to use with. Much bigger than what you have shown in the above post.
Isocyanates are in two part paints be careful of them.
A seperate air outfit with own supply properly setup would be in my mind be better as long as its not sucking air from close proximity to the spraying......
However the paint sets well with nice shine off the gun, so i like the paint be careful with it.

The masks in the above post are without filters, I was cleaning them in the picture, they need that from time to time, I've had the full face mask since 2010 so they last if taken care of.

Or did you refer to the 3M 6059 code. Do you have a code for the filters you use? 3M uses different codes depending on nation too, I think the 6059s when fitted with the P100 particular filters are equivalent to 3M filter 60923.

I have two masks, the 3M 7502 and full face mask 3M 6892. I use organic vapor cartridges, 3M 6059 is the code for the ones I have. And additional P100 particle filters can be added on.

Most of the time I also have smaller 3M P100 2097 filters on the half mask. I used the half mask last time I painted, I used a brush rather than spray though. Next time I plan to spray and I will do it outside and use the full face mask.

It is a little more effort, but I remove the filters from the mask when I am done for the day and store them wrapped in a plastic or zip-loc bag as well. I don't like to store the whole mask wrapped up, because it's been breathed into and is full of moisture and stuff, I rather leave it out to dry than seal it up.

Hi Dennis - appreciate your posting. I've just ordered the one Ballen recommended (3M Half mask 4255 with filters).
I appreciate the full mask gives more protection but I feel confident enough to use the Half mask outside and taking into account the wind/breeze conditions etc

John :typing::cheers:

Acrylic urethanes are much safer than older Imron Polane etc

Isocyanates are sensitizers. First use until 'x' uses no reaction. 'x+1' full on allergic reaction

'x' varies with user

It is not something I lose sleep over, and the usual safety measures are usually adequate

Back