What's new
What's new

DeVlieg platen and saddle scraping

gbent

Diamond
I have the table off a 3H48 to fix the platen in limit switch. I am considering rescraping the platen and saddle and wondering if anyone has any experience they would share?

devlieg platen bottom.jpg

Glen...you would need to match fit it to the saddle. If it is worn. You may have issues. You may just want to do is a cut & flake plus lowering the middle 40%. If your cutting accuracy was OK then a cut and flake will renew the oil pockets. I would also clean and repair the lubrication and way wipers. Remember to check for wear by indicating the depth of wear. Then remove the un worn areas first. If you decide to re scape for accuracy then let's revisit this. Another idea would be to call Bourn & Koch who now owns them and ask for a quote and they may be a bit more specific on the "scope of work".

What would you suggest for clearance between the center tapered positive way and the platten? The removable tapered key is hardened and ground.

Have to have room for oil. A Devlieg is call a "Jig Mill" or Super Precision like a Jig Bore. If the ways were new I would say .0002" per side, but if it is worn I would first think about the travel and wear. If your traveling out over the unworn area. .0004 to .0005" on unworn area. In the worn area it will get loose. Not knowing what that is, you will have to make that calculation.

If you are serious to have scraped there are a couple of brothers that roam the country and I know as a fact have scraped many Devliegs in the rockford area. I could get their info if you like.

Cash, I would appreciate it if you could PM me their info.

As far as the accuracy of the platen position, there are times where you have to machine with it in a retracted position to clear long tools. Mostly lower precision tools such as drills, but the occasional boring bar.

Back