What's new
What's new

Does Richard King sell a second, advanced rebuilding video?

metalmagpie

Titanium
I go back and review the video material from Rich's first CD, the one we were given in class, from time to time. I find it very helpful as there are many things to keep in mind. Today I wonder if there is a second more advanced tape available.

metalmagpie

Why didn't you write me ? Seems odd you would do this. I will start to do streaming this fall from my small home shop. Alex my son is helping me figure it out. I will teach and answer questions on my streaming shows. I have been told by my many students that in person classes are better then a HSB stick or a DVD, so no more video's are planned, but who knows.... Several of my students have done You Tube shows on the classes and are now teaching rebuilding. You can check things out on you tube by searching "Richard King Scraping" My most advanced student who-has taken 6 of my classes is Jan Sverre Haugjord and he has dozens of shows.
Grinding Myford beds - YouTube & Myford 7x7 bed flats scraping and measurement - YouTube

I have started to teach classes in my home shop and have had 2 students attend 3 classes to get more hands on experience. On class 2 and more the students can skip the scraping instruction and go directly to rebuilding a project with my help. Bourne and Koch in Rockford said they are going to host some advanced classes in late 2021 or 2022, So has Busch Precision in Milwaukee in 2022. I will be teaching a class in 10 days in Idaho at a private company where no out-siders can attend. So I will continue to travel in the USA but only if someone does all the recruiting and I'm paid by one person or company. Less hassles. I had hoped to retire, but I suspect I will be teaching until the day I drop dead.

Just watched the videos rk put up that would work well for my lathes but I would need a grinder with a 7m travel a bit hard to come by. Even a metal planer would be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. . . Today I wonder if there is a second more advanced tape available.

metalmagpie

Plus one for new vids. I'd buy it. And I bought the DVD. I highlighted "tape" in the quote, because that's the feel, like a vhs tape. I'd bet a newer vid would sell. Maybe 3 separate vids, similar to how the current DVD is is split into 3 areas.

Doubt I'll ever use a power scraper, but I wouldn't mind a longer more detailed vid on hand scraping and flaking. I'd buy it if available.

There are several good You Tube shows made by my students now. Jan Sverre Haugjord is one of thm. He took his first class 10+ rears ago in GA and has organized several in Scandinavia over the years. He must have a 100 on scraping mills, Lathe, surface grinders. He is also a PM member.Scraping Kingway HKA36 initial stage - underside - YouTube

Myford 7x7 bed flats scraping and measurement - YouTube

I have a group of about 1000 now who read, ask questions on Facebook. a handful are also professional rebuilders. Come join. We have rules and don't allow trolls or fakes in there. I try to teach in there...King-Way Scraping Consultants

You can also type - Richard King Scraping - on you tube and see several of my students shows they did on the class. Stefan Gottswinter has a good one on why you scrape and he talks as if he had memorized what I taught him. Adam Booth's friend Lance Baltzey has taken 5 or so classes of mine and has assisted me to teach the classes. Rex Waters in CA has also assisted teach classes. NYC CNC or John Saunders has good ones. Keith Rucker has hosted 5 or 6 of my classes, Cash Masters was taught by Mattison machine builders and took one class. He has some great shows on Intagram. You can get a good education watching them and some others. Don Baily of Suburban tool visits a rebuilders shop and he scrapes with the real Moore method, not the fake one some other guy shows on face book. Tom Lipton or OX Tool is another student. There are many others. Some fake rebuilders on there too...the ones who scraped their wood lathe...guessed on how to do it then shot a show,,,

I'm not taking credit on any of there information other then they were students in my scraping classes. A student sent me a link to some Japanese guys scraping. I will find it and link it in a bit. In my classes I try to teach trick of the trade my Dad taught me 50 years ago and things I have picked up over the years. No rocket science rebuilding and scraping like many on here tried to make it sound over the years. If your a mechanically inclined person you can do it. It helps if you can read micrometers, levels, dial indicators, but I have taught High Schools students who had no clue. What counts is having an open mind and are a good listener. Not afraid to get your hands dirty and a patient as scraping is a longtime a coming sometimes.

I will travel to your company to teach rebuilding plus scraping. Working inside my small pole barn shop is so much better though. I will be heading out to Idaho in a week to teach scraping and rebuilding punch presses and up-setters. I will try to add some photo's if I can, but I had to sign a confidentially agreement on this one. No more long 10+ hour plane rides though.

Here are a couple of good ones. My Dad taught me to hand scrape this way. Using your body to push the scraper and lifting at the forward end to scoop or not get a sharp burr at the end of the scrape mark like we get with a BIAX. One has to learn the art of only stoning off the burr and not the high spots.

用語辞典ーキサゲ加工 - YouTube

株式会社 寺本鉄工 キサゲの可能性 - YouTube

Richard, thank you for posting these couple videos, one of these style scrapers has come up on my instagram feed. it is too bad all in Japanese script for the descriptions.

murakamiseiki_official, sorry, this is not a link. I just cant find them on my computer.

they do as you explain about the small twist out at the end so you get no burr.

_

There is a company in Japan called Captain Scientific who sell BIAX products in Japan and Taiwan and they told me the Japanese machine builders refuse to buy Biax Power scrapers because in the scraping manual say lifting out MUST be done. They do buy the 1/2 moon flakers though.

Are you planning to teach another course in Europe? Or do you know who is teaching the art of scraping in Europe?

I don't know that "advanced" could be bundled into a single class or session. At least if it was, you would have guys take both classes and expect to be advanced machine rebuilders, and that wouldn't be accurate IMO. The way Rickard presents scraping and machine rebuilding in first class is a fantastic introduction to the skill, but after that you need to go out and get your hands dirty. Rebuild a couple machines, scrape your own straight edges, etc. and then you start to find problems that you might struggle with or want help sorting out a process.

IMO scraping and machine rebuilding is remarkably simple, but the individual jobs might not present themselves that way. It's like any other machining operation: you look at the job and break it down into individual simple tasks and spend extra time measuring and knowing how it starts, how it moves, and how it ends. If you try to go faster than the materials and tools allow, you'll likely spoil the work and need to take more time correcting it. Knowing how it's been done before is often necessary as there are plenty of machines and jobs that really can only go one way to get the desired results, but the texts that Richard provides and recommends in the first class really cover 90% of the unknown. The rest you can pick his brain or that of others who have experience (Practical Machinist For-the-Win!). It's like any other trade. You have a basic certification or apprenticeship, then it's "How long have you been doing it?" and "What have you done?"

I think Richard doing more videos will be an excellent help as you can focus on the problem you are having and not worry about slowing down the rest of a class, but I wouldn't put it in a sequential class type format. After you do a first class, you could then go watch points on getting a dovetail right, scraping for 40 PPI (and where you should even bother), pit-fals of working on a surface grinder (or any other specific tool), how to print a surface larger than your straight edge, etc.

Here are a couple of good ones. My Dad taught me to hand scrape this way. Using your body to push the scraper and lifting at the forward end to scoop or not get a sharp burr at the end of the scrape mark like we get with a BIAX. One has to learn the art of only stoning off the burr and not the high spots.

用語辞典ーキサゲ加工 - YouTube

株式会社 寺本鉄工 キサゲの可能性 - YouTube
I also want to add a few cents to my collection of scraping videos from Japan from my collection:

All these You Tube shows - show there all sorts of ways to hand scrape. Ted my assistant teacher in Taiwan trained to scrape that way in Japan. He used to laugh saying after a day of scraping that way he could not stand up straight. I can relate as I used to hop scrape when I was a rookie and for several years until we bought a BIAX. One of my first class was at Gallmeyer & Livingston in Grand Rapids MI and they had 3 Journeymen who hop scraped. After sowing them how to use a BIAX Power Scraper they pitched those hand scrapers. Here is the first class I taught for the PM members down in Texas. Rich King's scraping/machine rebuilding class (Picture Heavy)

The Japanese scraping technique is very different from the traditional one.
I really love watching Japanese craft shows. They do almost everything on the ground and hardly use a workbench or table. In doing so, they do amazing things.
If I tried to work like this, then after 30 minutes I would not be able to get up and I needed a doctor :-)
Here's another good show in which they tell a lot of interesting things.

P.S.
In this video, you can turn on subtitles and translate into your language. At the end of the video, one worker uses Biax

Back