What's new
What's new

Doosan Puma 240 turcite strip replacement

snaggletto

Plastic
I have a 2007 Doosan Puma 240B. What I believe is a turcite strip came out of my machine from the spindle side of the X axis box ways. The strip looks to be intact, not worn through or broken in any way. What am I looking at in getting this fixed? Thanks.

To do it right, the machine will need to be completely disassembled. New turcite glued on, and then scraped. A Puma 240 may not be worth all that. Show a picture of the strip.

The machine has whiney spindle bearings now also. Tolerances and surface finish is still satisfactory for the parts we make.

Sounds like you guys may need to review your maintenance program. What kind of coolant are you using?

Anyway, that looks like Rulon. To fix it correctly you need to remove the turret and strip down the X axis. You'll have to chip off the old Rulon and glue on some new. I'd do all the Rulon, not just the one strip. Then the new material needs to be scraped to the X axis ways.

You'll probably have to shim and pin the ball nut. You will also likely need to grind or make new shims for the turret. The chances are slim that your center height will come out exactly the same after scraping.

If the machine needs spindle bearings, you could be looking at $20,000 easily.

Wes is right about replacing all of the Rulon. I did a Puma 2500LSY a year ago and all of the Rulon had lost adhesion and was lose, including the keeper plate and gib Rulon. Doosans are known for this unfortunately. I had 56 hours in the job from start to finish and the machine was down for a total of 9 days. This was 2 guys, my grandson and myself. A lot of the work was done in my shop and I had other jobs in between. The customer bought the Rulon as a kit from Doosan for $500 and I billed close to $6000 for the job. That included removing the turret, slides, gluing new Rulon, scraping, installing everything, checking alignments, and setting all the home positions.

If I was to do it all over again I would probably quote $10K for the Rulon job. The spindle I would probably quote $3k plus parts, but I am cheap and love the work. $20K isn't that far off with the price bearings.

I don't know what Doosan offers for service. In a previous life I looked after some Okumas. We had a few bad crashes resulting in cracked X axis ways on large LB45 lathes. As I recall in two cases we removed the entire carriage assembly from the machine and sent it to Okuma in North Carolina to have the new parts installed and scraped in. When they came back we had to line up the turrets, but the ways were all set.

We had a smaller Heritage lathe that crashed so hard they shipped the whole machine out to Okuma to be repaired.

I don't know what Doosan offers for service. In a previous life I looked after some Okumas. We had a few bad crashes resulting in cracked X axis ways on large LB45 lathes. As I recall in two cases we removed the entire carriage assembly from the machine and sent it to Okuma in North Carolina to have the new parts installed and scraped in. When they came back we had to line up the turrets, but the ways were all set.

We had a smaller Heritage lathe that crashed so hard they shipped the whole machine out to Okuma to be repaired.

It's hard to talk a customer into changing the way they program to cut down against the bed. This LB45 photo is the second time the slide was cracked in a year, but this one took out the saddle too. The 3 jaw chucks are huge on those machines.

Attachments

• Cracked Way LB45-2.jpg
    Cracked Way LB45-2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Cracked Way LB45.jpg
    Cracked Way LB45.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 178
Here is a repair I did a few years ago. Probably something like you have, If you can do most of the dismantling, I could come in and install new Rulon (Koreans use red Rulon 142) as I did for this customer plus I showed him how to do it and now he is doing his own repairs. I could also assist you in rebuilding your spindle or we could send it to a company I know who specialize in them, I have also helped Brown & Bigelow in Fergus Falls MN in learning to rebuild Fadals. You can email me at [email protected]

Kitamura Mycenter Head Way Turcite Repair

Back