Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by twmcree View Post
    Status update:

The head is getting closer. All corners have mucho contact. Just a bit more roughing and she will be there.

Currently alignment is at 1.5 tenths nod and 2 tenths tilt over the span of the test arbor.

Hoping to get it a bit closer on the next iteration.

---

Will somebody please give me a reference as to what tolerance I should be shooting for here? I do not have any experience to way my results on...

Appreciate It!
    Wagner

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    Must be seeing the light at the end of that long blue tunnel now .
    As Richard says, the heads only going one way as it wears, so makes good sense to aim near the top end of the tolerance.
    bias.jpg
    What else is on the todo list?

Cheers
    D

2. Likes Richard King liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    I try to have the bottom of the head + .0002" to.0004" in 6" tipped back. Or bottom front side of test bar and as close to zero on the side.. You know why...because that's where the dirt gets in. Bottom front of head. So as it wears it gets better not worse if you make it zero zero. Have to check TIR of bar to and split the difference of run out. Now that you know how to work in tenths don't try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear....lol can't make that machine a Jig Bore. Your work and this tread is excellent info and will help others as my Kitimira thread helped you. Thank You!! Rich
    10-4. I will knock down the top pads to compensate for future wear. Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    Must be seeing the light at the end of that long blue tunnel now .
    As Richard says, the heads only going one way as it wears, so makes good sense to aim near the top end of the tolerance.
    bias.jpg
    What else is on the todo list?

Cheers
    D
    Haha. It is getting there.

To do list:

1) finish scraping in z, complete head assembly process.

2) the saddle geometry is shit, so I will need to tear it out and rescrape... part of learning process... assumptions don't fair too well in this field, or most aspects of life for that matter... maybe one day the lesson will stick.

3) tune servos.. I believe x axis is overworking... oscilating too frequently or trying to hold too fine a position.

4) push that little green free-money button. aka: learn the trade as quickly and thoroughly as possible.. hopefully without writing more checks to experience than I can afford.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by twmcree View Post
    10-4. I will knock down the top pads to compensate for future wear. Thank You!

Haha. It is getting there.

To do list:

1) finish scraping in z, complete head assembly process.

2) the saddle geometry is shit, so I will need to tear it out and rescrape... part of learning process... assumptions don't fair too well in this field, or most aspects of life for that matter... maybe one day the lesson will stick.

3) tune servos.. I believe x axis is overworking... oscilating too frequently or trying to hold too fine a position.

4) push that little green free-money button. aka: learn the trade as quickly and thoroughly as possible.. hopefully without writing more checks to experience than I can afford.
    How shit is 'shit'? Can you describe the errors?
    Sometimes 'shit' is good enough, easy to fuss over tenths when a thou or 2 will do.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    How shit is 'shit'? Can you describe the errors?
    Sometimes 'shit' is good enough, easy to fuss over tenths when a thou or 2 will do.
    Thank you for the insight, and for sending me the book link ( Testing Machine Tools pdf ) regarding machinery alignment. You saved me quite a bit of time and effort.

Finally finished up head assembly - took around twice as long as the saddle and table combined... Chicken scratchin don't cut much ice.

Here is the final geometry for the saddle and table - going to leave it as is... Such a relief. I guess I get anxious watching the tenths indicator spin

... work not as perfect as I'd like to have representing my efforts, but time is money I reckon.

---

Next machine aught to be a piece of cake.

6. Likes Richard King, Demon73, Paolo_MD, Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A great feeling to have completed a difficult task. I am sure that in use you wont really be able to notice the issues. Most material being machined will move more than that while being cut.

Thanks for sharing your efforts we all learn when we share.

Charles