State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    Yes there is a auction up here tomorrow ending at 10 CST. . ai
    Do you know the name by chance?

I bid on an auction today saw some Mazak Msy lathes go for 80k without the 18% buyers premium. That痴 like 50% of new price for a 12year old machine.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good job ! Very nice with all the pictures. I did this on a Fadal couple years ago bring back lots of head scratching memorys.
    The post of changing level , i run into that in my shop. Every fall and spring i need to re level, Minnesota so I知 blaming frost. Not enough concrete I知 sure don稚 help either.
    I知 terrible at taking pictures but I知 getting better lol. Really want to make it to one of Richards classes. I have been reading his posts for a number of years and he is a wealth of knowledge on machine rebuilding, i would venture to say he probably has forgotten more than i could learn in the rest of my life on machine tool rebuilding.
    Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking good mate! I bet you're looking forward to having it back up and running!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowerks View Post
    Good job ! Very nice with all the pictures. I did this on a Fadal couple years ago bring back lots of head scratching memorys.
    The post of changing level , i run into that in my shop. Every fall and spring i need to re level, Minnesota so I知 blaming frost. Not enough concrete I知 sure don稚 help either.
    I知 terrible at taking pictures but I知 getting better lol. Really want to make it to one of Richards classes. I have been reading his posts for a number of years and he is a wealth of knowledge on machine rebuilding, i would venture to say he probably has forgotten more than i could learn in the rest of my life on machine tool rebuilding.
    Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man I wish you would have documented it back then. I知 documenting this just to show others that it can be done and it痴 not all that bad honestly just slow.

I知 in Georgia so no frost and the concrete is almost 8 of fiber reinforced concrete so I知 not sure but I blame it on the huge rainstorms we have been having and the less than optimal soil we have.

My wife has been helping me because I can稚 move the huge granite I have by myself either so I have to wait till she is willing to help so it takes a bit longer.

I値l be working almost non stop for thanksgiving week so there probably won稚 be any updates till after that time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You should have called me this morning. You have or had my number and email ... It started at 10 AM CST. It was a Bidspotter. under fram fram...Minneapolis. I don't watch the forrum 24/7 so you probably missed out.

I always thought it was against forum rues to put auctions on here...but here you go, They may delete it;
    2006 Fadal Model VMC4020 HT Vertical Machining Center Serial Number 12006018548 X-Travel: 40" Y-T

Fram Fram LLC | Minnesota Fabrication Equipment, CNC Mills & Lathes, Welding & Conventional Machinery Auction lots

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aarongough View Post
    Looking good mate! I bet you're looking forward to having it back up and running!
    Hey when you blew a spindle drive and a motor did you happen to check the ohms on your motor leads?

I forgot to mention and it痴 something that has slowed me down as well is I had a problem with the machine

I typically turn the machine on mostly to get the cabinet light on as I go to work on the ways. This hasn稚 been a problem so far.

But Tuesday I had it turned on for maybe 15 minutes when I heard a loud pop. The screen went out and I immediately went to the back and threw the disconnect.

Well the inverter had let the smoke out. So that was annoying but I happened to gave a spare inverter on hand. I installed it hoping my screen issue was related to the inverter but does not seem to be the case.

I have not reconnected the motor leads in fear that the motor is bad. I was measuring .2ohms lead to lead and that seemed very low to me. I figured I壇 wait till I got the control sorted to bother with that.

So now I get no video to the screen. All the cards power on and seem to work fine but no video.

I happened to also have a set of spare cards for the machine but this machine has the newest color video card and vga adaptors. The set of cards I had was for monochrome video without vga. I got the video card and vga color adapter board on order so when I get them I値l see if that solves my issue. Strange that so many issues occurred at once.

When I gave some more time to write I値l get to more about the ways. I made a little mistake although I knew it was the case just not as bad as it seems now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ohmeter is fairly useless. You need a megger to check windings. Disconnect motor windings from the wires going from the drive to the motor. Megger those wires separately.

This is what happens to me when I try to fix one bad aspect of an older machine. Turns into a mess of fixing 10 things at once.

In the NW, I have seen a few smoking deals on smaller HMC's and VMC's recently, but they were gone fairly quick. There was a beautiful 10 year old Kitamura VMC for $10k, some kind of late model 4020 Hurco for $2000, and a new robodrill in a 2nd story of a downtown building for free.

Couple OK deals below on little machines. If that Shizuoka was fully enclosed I would buy it. Even at the lower RPM I'd take it over my VF-0. I'd sell the VF-0 for way more money too. If I needed a basic little VMC $5k for that Fadal probably isn't a bad deal.

2007 CNC FADAL VMC 2216FX - heavy equipment - by owner - sale

Shizuoka Millmaster B-3V 410 VMC - business/commercial - by owner -...

I don't usually look further than one state away from me for deals. I focus on the local deals that are time sensitive. I will hop in my truck, schedule a forklift drop and trucking on my way there.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The resistance of the windings sounds about right to me. As long as the 3 phases all measure roughly the same (within 0.1 ohm or so) then that aspect should be good. As Garwood said a megger is a necessary second step to check the motor. My motor windings read fine with a multimeter, it was only the megger that showed that they had low resistance to ground.

You would likely know if the spindle drive took out the motor, the smell of burnt electrical insulation is very distinctive! It's worth making sure though as you don't want to burn out the new drive!

I highly recommend the Glentek spindle drives, and buying either from Calmotion or ITS. The 'other' place has burnt me bad in the past so I do not recommend them.

The Glentek drive has much better protection for things like over-current and shorted windings than the old drives do.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Things are still moving along albeit slowly.

I got the way with good contact most of the way across now I just need to refine the bearing a bit and then one side will be done.

Hard to see the blue but it痴 decently even. There is some grooves worn in that would take a lot more to come in to contact so I値l leave them.

10. Likes Paolo_MD, aarongough, Richard King liked this post