What's new
What's new

Felt oilers

Uretab

Plastic
Hello all practical machinists,

This will be my first question on this forum so please be kind :-)
I am a watchmaker residing in Switzerland and one of my hobbies is restoring mechanical machines.

I have started to restore my Swedish surface grinder: Nyberg & Westerberg PLS-10. There are felt oilers for the v-shape and flat shape ways that I would like to change. Now for my question(s): which type of felt is best to use? Is it possible to machine them to the right form and dimensions and does anyone have a source in Europe?

I have attached a photo of the saddle.

Thank you and kind regards
Fredrik
ace77e2b8c08469a4f79512c36149329.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I used to buy hard white felt I found this, but I bet you can locate it in Europe too. Felt - White - 1/2" Thick - 2 1/4" x 9 1/2" - Pack of 8 (E2) | eBay

It's called "pressed" felt. I used to buy 1/2 thick white felt. From an industrial supply company. Pressed Felt – Buffalo Felt Products

I also see on some grinding machines that use a wood or steel tooling that rolls oil out of a reservoir like yours The roller is setting on a small spring loaded pedestal. I have been looking for machine manuals with drawings showing them and am not having much luck. I did find the photo in the beginning of this thread. Maybe someone else can show them too. Way Oil for Surface Grinder Ways?

I was doing some felt research a bit ago, and have a thread on it here:
Another Felt Discussion

For way wipers the consensus I came up with was F1 for way wipers.

Besides different grades there are different thicknesses it can be purchased in. Not sure if you have access to Grainger or McMaster Carr, but you can get sheets from either.

The old felt may be as hard as a brick now, but new felt is soft, like a heavy cloth. You can't machine it. Cut it with scissors, or a razor blade, hole punch, etc.

Don't cut to exact dimension. Cutting to exact dimension, the felt won't push on ways. Cut it slightly too long, so that a little effort is needed to push felt retainer into position for its hardware. In that way, the felt will wipe when sliding on ways.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the precious informations. Very much appreciated.
I’ll keep you posted of what I’ll be able to find in Europe.
Kind regards
Fredrik

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I bought felt for the wipers of my lathe at the local arts and crafts shop. It is a local chain here that sells artists supplies like paints, brushes, paper, beads and associated items.You will probably have the same somewhere.

I have started to restore my Swedish surface grinder: Nyberg & Westerberg PLS-10. There are felt oilers for the v-shape and flat shape ways that I would like to change. Now for my question(s):

which type of felt is best to use?

Is it possible to machine them to the right form and dimensions and does anyone have a source in Europe?

1. A soft variety.
2. Yes. They can be soaked in a weak bone glue solution and once dry they can be shaped almost like a piece of wood. This is how I saw very complex profiles for polishing wheels being made.

But, I wouldn't use them unless I can dead sure they won't become grit traps. A light oil with some tacking agent added is all you might need for a light machine.

Hello Fredrik. I've just purchased the same model of machine. Were you able to find any manuals for this unit?

Back