What's new
What's new

Restoring a Derbyshire 750 and Derbyshire 3804 Steel Makers Stand

I have a Derbyshire 750 S/n 406 mounted to a #3804 steel makers stand that i am restoring. It has a speed ranger variable speed gearbox, and a Speed Ranger branded 1/4 HP 208-220/440, 3 phase, 1725 rpm motor. I have been working with Derbyshire directly (yes they are still in business) to bring this lathe back from the dead. Since not a lot of info is out there about these lathes I thought that I would start a tread to post information gained, and lessons learned.

Yes, pictures please!

The Derbyshire 750 is a cute little thing (link to lathes.co.uk page). Often these are stripped in eBay auctions - no motor, no stand, no tooling. The matching steel stand will be a nice platform. Hopefully you also received tooling.

The Speed Ranger unit is an odd, Reeves drive-ish sort of beast. If the unit needs anything more than superficial repair you would be better off with a standard 3-phase motor and a VFD to control the speed. If you want to be fancy, rig the Speed Ranger control wheel to a potentiometer to control the VFD frequency.

Tom

Back