What's new
What's new

Finding Cast Iron Straight Edge in UK?

Colin Heath

Aluminum
Do any of the UK members here have an idea where to source a cast iron straight edge as a scraping master or what these are called over here please?

I have ploughed through google but either get a straight edge no use for scraping (very thing, bevel edge unit) or links to USA sites.

1m long granite straight edges are easy to find here but I can't get under the dovetail with those for a scraping master so any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin.

Jan over in Norway bought a trove of Straight-edges over in Sweden at an auction. I know he plans on selling some of them to the students of the Danish and Norway class. PM me and I'll give you his email address. I have no clue on freight costs in Europe. I'll try to post some pictures. Also I think Pete told me he called around to some UK rebuilders and found one they weren't using. I think he said it was expensive.

Attachments

• Jan straight edges.1.jpg
    Jan straight edges.1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 648
  • Jan straight edges.4.jpg
    Jan straight edges.4.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 706
Plain one are scarce enough but a dovetail straight edge is going to be very difficult to find, or you'll just be lucky and be in the right place at the right time. I have had to make one small one already and I have more planned.

What size do you need Colin?

Might have missed the boat - but I know of a 6ft SE in the UK for sale - no idea of price or if its a dovetail version. PM me and I will send details
Mat

Bear in mind that a 6 footer is as much as you could carry alone, you'd need 2 people to handle it for printing.

30 years ago when all the big British machine tool builders were going to the wall you could have picked them up for next to nothing at auction. That ship sailed a long while ago.

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:
Judging by my recent searches, rocking horse teeth are more readily available but quite as useful.
3' & 4' nothing about that I could locate.

Four ! Now thats just greedy ! :D

I haven't been buying up everything in sight, just one of every size I need.
I got a triangle straight edge with the most sublime scraping, I'm scared to use it in case it wears the pattern away :D

Thanks for all the input, it's been a great help.

I have bought an old cast iron surface plate and will try and make a straight edge but will also look at the options given here.

I think the 6' is well beyond what I need at present or have the skill to use :)

Thanks Peter,

I'm looking to scrape the x and y axis on my bridgeport 9x42" mill so a 24" edge with dovetail would be fine.

I have purchased a cast iron surface plate and will have a go at making one.

I have three 36" cast iron straight edges. If I ground the side of one to 60°, there wouldn't be a lot of width available, but I could check to see which one was the most usable. You'd have to scrape the dovetail face flat to use it.

Alternatively, I also have a 10" 60° (or was it 55°, have to check) prism that I ground and scraped when I rebuilt by Beaver Milling machine. I don't need that any more. So, if the prism was the right angle and I ground the the best of the straight edges to give you some clearance (then scraped it flat again after it warped...), you could use the prism to check the dovetail angles and the straight edge for flatness. That's essentially what I did with my 48" straight edge when rebuilding the Beaver mill.

Where about's in the UK are you. I'm at Rugby (junction of M1 and M6), if that's at all handy. If you're close enough, I could lend you the prism and the 48" straight edge that I've already gound and scraped a bevel on .

I'll need them back in about a year's time when I start work on my grinder!

I have three 36" cast iron straight edges. If I ground the side of one to 60°, there wouldn't be a lot of width available, but I could check to see which one was the most usable. You'd have to scrape the dovetail face flat to use it.

Alternatively, I also have a 10" 60° (or was it 55°, have to check) prism that I ground and scraped when I rebuilt by Beaver Milling machine. I don't need that any more. So, if the prism was the right angle and I ground the the best of the straight edges to give you some clearance (then scraped it flat again after it warped...), you could use the prism to check the dovetail angles and the straight edge for flatness. That's essentially what I did with my 48" straight edge when rebuilding the Beaver mill.

Where about's in the UK are you. I'm at Rugby (junction of M1 and M6), if that's at all handy. If you're close enough, I could lend you the prism and the 48" straight edge that I've already gound and scraped a bevel on .

I'll need them back in about a year's time when I start work on my grinder!

Mark ,if you were going around again would you make the prism 10" long or would it ideally be longer?

Back