What's new
What's new

FLORIDA Scraping / Rebuilding class in January 2020

Richard King

Diamond
I talked to the Host of the Santa Rosa Beach Florida class and we are doing it starting Wednesday January 15 - Sunday Jan 19. The class will be a Wednesday - Sunday so you only need to take days off the same week.

Santa Rosa Beach is 1/2 way between Panama City and Pensacola on the Gulf side. I have worked in Panama City years ago for the Navy and the beaches are white sand...

When there is 3 feet of snow in MN I will be lounging in my Tee shirt on the beach after class :-) Class will be the same format for rookies and advanced for 2nd or more class students. The Host has a 60" Thompson Grinder that You Tuber Lance Baltzley and Keith Rucker (both students of mine) scraped in the ways. He has a nice repair shop and plans on scraping his Harig surface grinder as his project. Private message me for more info. Thanks, Rich

Last edited:
I talked to the Host of the Santa Rosa Beach Florida class and we are doing it starting Wednesday January 15 - Sunday Jan 19. The class will be a Wednesday - Sunday so you only need to take days off the same week.

Santa Rosa Beach is 1/2 way between Panama City and Pensacola on the Gulf side. I have worked in Panama City years ago for the Navy and the beaches are white sand...

When there is 3 feet of snow in MN I will be lounging in my Tee shirt on the beach after class :-) Class will be the same format for rookies and advanced for 2nd or more class students. The Host has a 60" Thompson Grinder that You Tuber Lance Baltzley and Keith Rucker (both students of mine) scraped in the ways. He has a nice repair shop and plans on scraping his Harig surface grinder as his project. Private message me for more info. Thanks, Rich

If you are used to cold weather and all, January in FL will be a breeze, maybe t-shirt weather for snowbirds... LoL

I remember moving here (Tampa area) and running around in shorts in the 'winter' time (40ish deg) and people thought I was crazy, now when it is 70deg I am cold and need jeans and a flannel! :D

I don't know that area of FL, but if you ever go further south... I know teachme is south of me, and I am just southewest of Tampa (not by much)....

Abomb79 - Adam Booth signed up today. He attended the first class we had at Keith Ruckers. For those who don't know him, I heard he has 500,000 You Tube followers. I also have invited Keith Rucker of Vintage Machinery to attend too... When he hosted the 5 classes at his shop in GA he never got much done as he was helping folks grind or make something. They say the average temp on the white sand coast is 70+ in the day time. I hope to go deep sea fishing on my day off down there :-)

This class has room for 1 more student. As of today we have 9 Rookies, 4 Advanced student. Note Adam Booth, Keith Rucker and Lance Bakeley all You tubers will be in the advanced group. Adam (Abom79) is bring his BBQ and Shrimp Boil cookers and will be making lunch for a few days too. Both he and Keith Rucker have some new You Tube shows too.
The class is on the Gulf Coast and in January. I am looking forward to basking in the sunshine. If you only want to drop byefor a visit or take a day or 2 class let me know. Rich

We had the class and it was another great class plus when I we (my wife went with) flew down from Minneapolis on Sunday Jan. 12 the temperature was 0 F - yes zero....and when we landed in Florida it was 75 F. We have already decided we will be doing another class down their next January. Maybe do one there for the next 10 years, lol. My wife found a condo where we stayed overlooking the gulf for $90.00 a night (off season price as they say 75 is cold). What a deal...plus it was only 7 miles from the shop. Adam Booth and Lance Baltzley arranged the location as and Keith Rucker had done some rebuilding on a Thompson Grinder over the last 6 months. Juhn Tucker the host has a maga complex with many large pole type buildings as he owns several businesses related to the construction industry. John said he started buying machine tools as he had to make many of the parts he used in repairing his lumber mill machines, granite counter tops, bath and kitchen tools...etc. I was shocked at how huge the work shop area we used right next to his temp controlled machine shop. He is getting into gear mfg-ing now as he has purchased 2 Barber Coleman Hobbers.

Back to the class. we had 5 former students and 6 rookies. I was hopping as Keith and Lance were rebuilding Johns Cincinnati 36" Metal Shaper. Adam had taken one of Keith's classes (Keith has hosted 5 classes) but was filming too for his You Tube channel. Adam scraped his 2 King-Way straight-edges he machined before the class. I also tested some acrylic paint I bought at Walmart in the arts and craft dept. I was shopping there and passed thru that isle by chance and saw they had several colors. We used it for highlighter mixed with windex. It worked good and it only cost $1.97 a tube. Cheaper then Canode. We also mixed it up with Charbonel and it worked better then mixing it with Canode.

Pic's:

Attachments

• 20200118_154429.jpg
    20200118_154429.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 20200117_133907.jpg
    20200117_133907.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 296
  • 20200117_133915.jpg
    20200117_133915.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 20200117_144157.jpg
    20200117_144157.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200117_143952.jpg
    20200117_143952.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 139
Thanks for the update on the class. I talked to Lance this week on the phone and it sounds like it was a lot of fun.

As far as the warm Florida weather, besides no state income tax that is the other reason so many people from the North head there. It is my second home, soon to be first in a couple years.

We rented a condo on Miramara Beach for less then a hotel room. They said it was off season and in April it starts getting wild there with 2 times the people. I would love to do a class there in January every year :-)

We rented a condo on Miramara Beach for less then a hotel room. They said it was off season...

Just as true, much of Europe. Not just for you. Attendees as well.

Wife and I like to cook local foods when we wander, don't mind off-season weather.

We have been taking "self-catering" lodging that way at about 1/4 to 1/3 peak rates. Air fares are usually a bargain, rental car choices, too.

Saving money that way for more than 25 years, and counting. Asia, Oceania, Carribean, and LATAM as well.

Go ahead and make it a regular date, then.

Sorta "semi-retire" to Florida, give yer students an excuse to escape harsh winter for a spell, too?

Could become one of your easier classes to FILL quickly?

Just mind your "off season" is not also "hurricane season" or it can empty-out even faster!

:D

Last edited:
Adam Booth a Practical Machinist Member and big You Tuber made the following show on the Florida class.... enjoy...If anyone is interested in attending one of my classes or buying a straight edge, shoot me a private message or email. Thanks. YouTube

Back