What's new
What's new

G & L rebuild

gear cutter

Cast Iron
I am currently rebuilding my No. 45 G & L horizontal boring mill. I am to the point of installing the lube system for the ways, saddle to base and table to saddle. All are connected by two manifolds all Bijur tubing. When I got the machine the original lube pump was missing and the lube system had been disassembled.
Can anyone tell me how to size the restriction fittings and pump. I tried to contact Bijur but they we not very helpful.

Look up "Lube USA". They offer a complete line of Bijur style fittings and pumps. Since they seem to be eating Bijur's lunch, they will most likely be more helpful.

Find somebody with a similar machine and see what size they have?

Many machine manuals will have this information, I assume you do not have the manual?

Error on the side of too much vs not enough oil.

Find somebody with a similar machine and see what size they have?

Many machine manuals will have this information, I assume you do not have the manual?

Error on the side of too much vs not enough oil.

I do not have a manual for it. I have searched around but no luck finding one this machine is pretty old I think.

Lubrication design

I agree Bijur's service and pricing screams, buy elsewhere. Now that their product is Chinese import, I have no loyalty. Can find identical, generic systems online at a fraction of the price. Years ago Bijur had excellent manuals on system design. With some leg work can probably put your hands on a copy. Discusses continuous vs. cyclic systems. Meter sizing as a function of line pressure, oil viscosity and journal demand. Believe each meter size increment is double the flow. So, a huge variation is possible between 0/5 - 5. I generally aim to dispense just enough oil to keep way surfaces damp. Your mileage may vary.

I see your in Missouri. A company I know is across the river from St Louis in Alton IL and they rebuild G&L's I would bet they have an old manual pump they will give you a deal on. Where in MO are you from as I will be driving thru Mo later this month and If your close to 35 I could drop in to give you some help as I have rebuilt a few G&L's in my career. If you write me with you machine serial number I can write them and introduce you to them via cc.

Abbott Machine Co.: Commercial Roll Grinding, Remanufacturer & Machinery Rebuilder -Abbott Machine Company

I see your in Missouri. A company I know is across the river from St Louis in Alton IL and they rebuild G&L's I would bet they have an old manual pump they will give you a deal on. Where in MO are you from as I will be driving thru Mo later this month and If your close to 35 I could drop in to give you some help as I have rebuilt a few G&L's in my career. If you write me with you machine serial number I can write them and introduce you to them via cc.

Abbott Machine Co.: Commercial Roll Grinding, Remanufacturer & Machinery Rebuilder -Abbott Machine Company

Hi Richard.

My shop is in Bloomsdale, MO 45 minutes south of St. Louis. I-55.

I have sent a P.M.

It would be great to have you visit my shop.

I will be driving down 35 through KC a 17 hour drove to Navasota unfortunately. I just checked Goodle maps and your 22 if I drove your way. If Abbott can't help you I would keep an Eye open for a Bijur 1 shot auto lube pump or a Lube . Be careful and be sure you order it from Visit the LUBE USA website at lubeusa.com for a complete product catalog, data sheets, manuals, and SDS downloads for Grease Systems, LHL Hybrid Lubricant Systems, Metric Tubing Parts, and Oil Systems. and not the one linked to Devco as they are so much more $$ IMHO

Back