What's new
What's new

Getting a Clausing 4902 lathe bed ground

rhb

Aluminum
I'm in central Arkansas about 75 miles NNE of Little Rock and about 150 miles from Memphis.

I'd like to get the hardened ways ground. Can anyone recommend someone near me who can do such work? I can take care of all the rest of the work.

It's not badly worn. I don't recall what I measured, but 3-4 thou seems about right.

IMO nowhere near being worn enough to warrant that expense if that's all it is....but that is not what you asked.:)

I'll only say there will be more wear to the bottom of the saddle, and that may be an area you can make marked improvements at a fraction of the expense, especially if you are able to do the work yourself.

It's enough to bind at the tailstock end if the gibs are set too close at the spindle end is all I really remember. I didn't have a means of measuring accurately. IIRC I judged it by means of a 0.0005"/ft level on the carriage after leveling the lathe. It was a long time ago and moving from Houston to Arkansas put my shop out of commission for a long time.

I'm going to order camelback straightedge castings from Gary Martin. I just need to decide which lengths to get. Out to the shop to measure.

Thanks! I knew about Commerce in Dallas as they have a huge Blanchard grinder. Big enough to rate a newspaper article with a photo. But not the others.

I ordered 6" and 12" masters from Gary and will start by working on the carriage and slides. I'll decide about bed grinding after I finish that work.

Back