What's new
What's new

granite angle question

metalmagpie

Titanium
I came into possession of a Brown & Sharpe granite angle plate some years ago. This is what it looks like, although this is not a picture of my stone:

s-l1600.jpg

I don't really understand how to use it. The back of the piece (as shown) is a smooth vertical surface. I imagine one could blue that up and set the stone on a surface plate and then a part could be held against the surface plate while rubbing it against the granite angle and thus give an indication of how square the part is and also where to scrape it.

And, of course, one can set the angle plate on a surface plate and just hold parts against it and look for light gaps.

What is the actual way to use this?

metalmagpie

Very often such is used for inspection work, they are super true and so useful to hold a part to be traveled under an indicator with the assembly set on a surface plate..Also they might be used to set or check a machine for features squarness, straight or size..

Use as a grinding jig or fixture they are subject to abrasive wear so not recommended for this use.

Like Michigan buck says, that is a inspection fixture. You can clamp your work piece to the angle to inspect for squareness. A truly useful angle is a four face where you can clamp one face to the angle but then you can also lay the angle on its side to check if the third face is mutually perpendicular.

I have a 6" DoAll version that has steel discs in set so it can be used on a surface grinder magnetic chuck directly. I also have an 18 by 24 in size that is meant to be used on a surface plate.

you can set a squareness comparator with it. do you know what grade it is?

Back