What's new
What's new

Graziano SAG 14 Head bearing Replacement

Elixer

Plastic
Hello Folks:
I have a Graziano SAG 14 lathe that the front head bearing is failing. Lathe is Ser # SAG14N9717-HB509. The head bearing is made by Gammet and I have located replacement. I have found no information on the procedure to change it and to set the preload. I do have have the extremely detailed parts manual which was use full at ordering the replacement bearing however it is not a service manual. I searched and and found no detailed service manual for the machine. If anyone has any experience with this operation I sure would appreciate any direction or suggestions to avoid any pitfalls.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Jon

We changed the spindle bearings on our SAG 14 about 35 years ago. The dealer we bought the lathe from basically
did the changeover--although I did watch the whole procedure. He was an old school German guy who certainly seemed
to know what he was doing. I can't remember if there was any specific preload setting but I do know that the break in
procedure was quite time consuming. If I remember correctly after the bearings were installed he started by running the
lathe at low speed for 40-45 minutes while paying close attention to the temp of the housing where the front bearing was
located.

After the first run (I think) he let the lathe cool right down and then ran it again at a higher speed while closely monitoring
the temperature This was repeated several times as the speeds were increased--he actually had to come back the next
day to finish. I know at one point he did stop and re-adjust the bearings; most likely because the headstock was getting
too hot. In the end he wanted to make sure that even at high speeds the headstock never got so hot that you couldn't
hold your hand on it.

Whatever he did worked because we ran that lathe for 20 years or more after the bearings were replaced with no issues
whatsoever.

I'm curious to know what you paid for the bearings? I know they were damned expensive back then and I can only imagine
what they cost today...

Hello Folks:
I have a Graziano SAG 14 lathe that the front head bearing is failing. Lathe is Ser # SAG14N9717-HB509. The head bearing is made by Gammet and I have located replacement. I have found no information on the procedure to change it and to set the preload. I do have have the extremely detailed parts manual which was use full at ordering the replacement bearing however it is not a service manual. I searched and and found no detailed service manual for the machine. If anyone has any experience with this operation I sure would appreciate any direction or suggestions to avoid any pitfalls.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Jon

ISTR "600 group" made investments to build-up the Gamet precison bearings part of their "empire", then sold it-off recently.

In any case, while the lathe is an "orphan" the bearings are not.

About Gamet - Precision RPM Inc.

Adjustment methods WILL vary by application, but there should be both generic info from the bearing makers, and examples not only of SAG, but of other Euro-lathes as used them, too. Eg; Colchester, Cazeneuve, and several others.

Some of those can be found "Right here, on PM" in threads dealing with spindle bearing replacement. Go Ogle should find several.

You'll need to run the search.

At least one Graziano-running poster is no longer making chips in our world, so can no longer respond to your query any other way than by the info he left behind - posted on PM.

I didn't see much about the spindle bearings, but this is what I would consider one of the best detailed thread on rebuilding a Sag. SAG 12 Restoration Progress

I'll keep looking for some info.

I found this one: Do Graziano Spindle Bearings Need Adjustment?

If your going to adjust the bearings first take a lot of pictures, scribe a line on the spindle bearing adjusting nut so you know where it is before you start. Then loosen the retainer and use a spanner and tighten the nut 1/8" from the scribed line, tight it back up and as the other fellow said run it a medium speed and get a infrared heat gun (they are cheap) and watch the temp. If it goes over 140F it's too hot. So 130F would be the temp your shooting for. My dad used to use his hand test. If it is to hot to lay your hand on it loosen it, if it is cool to the touch tighten in another 1/8" from the mark.

I found this one on another type of machine: spindle bearings overheating

Back