What's new
What's new

Handscraper choices for your scraping needs

Richard King

Diamond
I keep getting emails about what brand name hand scraper I would recommend.
Here is a letter I just sent to a guy.

-----------------------------------

There are 3 brands being sold on the market...4 - I suppose if your in Europe...

My least favorite is the one I cut my teeth on 55 years ago when I was a kid....It does the job but not the one I use anymore or recommend.

Anderson…..if you buy the carbide tips they are only silver soldered on and are not sharpened. The HSS blades also need to be sharpened and once you start scraping with them they need to be sharpened often.

Sandik I graduated to this scraper when I was around 20 years old. I used the 1" wide handle with a 1 x 1 carbide clamp on tip. The carbide insert is sharpened but only to a 140 mm radius and they expect you to sharpen it to your desired radius. Meaning you will need to buy a diamond sharpener like a Glendo Accu-finish or Baldor. Never attempt to hand lap with a hand diamond lap as it will fail.

My favorite is a Biax hand scraper sold here in the USA by DAPRA.com I use their 150 series (mm or 6" long) blades on them You can order them with a 140 mm, 60 mm, 40 mm and 20 mm radius, They also need to be sharpened on a diamond wheel machine... the Baldor needs a minimum of a 300 grit wheel. Or a Glendo and I use their 250, 600and grit wheels ..roughing to fine finish using a 1200 grit wheel.

The Biax has a adapter so you can clamp on the carbide tips like the Sanvik. They come as the Sanvik sharpened on 2 sides. I recommend you sharpen all 4 sides to different radius's. 90 for roughing, 60 for finish, 40 for fine and 20 for super finish.

The Biax scraper is the one people copy and the hand scraper many pro's use. It costs usually twice as much as the others.

If I can be of more help, please ask.

Back