What's new
What's new

HBM 210 mini lathe and brushless motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert1998

Plastic
Hi everyone. I´m new here. I´m from Spain and I love make new things.

I have been working with wood and plastic, but now I want to start with metal.

I want to buy a lathe in a local shop and the only one available is this one (The link is from the netherlands shop, because is in Englis, if it is not in english, in the right upper corner you can change the lengauge)

HBM 210 x 400 Vario Metal lathe

The problem is taht it has a regular motor, and a lot of people have recommend me that it is better with a brushless motor. So my question is, How much does a brushless motor and a driver cost for that lathe?

I have looked up for "600w brushless motor" in the internet but there are a lot, from 30$ to 200$ and I have no idea wich would be the right one.

I know there is better options with brushless motors, but I want to buy local.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Hi everyone. I´m new here. I´m from Spain and I love make new things.

I have been working with wood and plastic, but now I want to start with metal.

I want to buy a lathe in a local shop and the only one available is this one (The link is from the netherlands shop, because is in Englis, if it is not in english, in the right upper corner you can change the lengauge)

HBM 210 x 400 Vario Metal lathe

The problem is taht it has a regular motor, and a lot of people have recommend me that it is better with a brushless motor. So my question is, How much does a brushless motor and a driver cost for that lathe?

I have looked up for "600w brushless motor" in the internet but there are a lot, from 30$ to 200$ and I have no idea wich would be the right one.

I know there is better options with brushless motors, but I want to buy local.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

You have a couple of options.

1. If space allows ( doubt it... ) you could use a 3/4 3phase motor with an inverter.
2. You could adapt a sewing machine brushless motor - check eBay. Some of those are excellent ! Some are utter rubbish.
3. You could adapt a cheap servo motor + drive from China. Again, check ebay. This might be the best solution but you need to be very careful what you buy and what info you receive with it. Very, VERRY careful !

You have a couple of options.

1. If space allows ( doubt it... ) you could use a 3/4 3phase motor with an inverter.
2. You could adapt a sewing machine brushless motor - check eBay. Some of those are excellent ! Some are utter rubbish.
3. You could adapt a cheap servo motor + drive from China. Again, check ebay. This might be the best solution but you need to be very careful what you buy and what info you receive with it. Very, VERRY careful !

Thanks for your answer.

And how much could it cost any ot these options? Approximately...

Thanks for your answer.

And how much could it cost any ot these options? Approximately...

Give me a couple of hours to see what's what. Haven't priced these things in a while.

Option 1) should run around $250-$300.

No need to rush into this - the motor (factory) fitted will work OK at least for a while. You'll have to see what you feel is wrong with the factory motor so that you can make a good decision. I suspect that you will want BOTH higher rpm and better torque at low rpm. Then, we MUST take a look at your machine's gearing/pulleys etc. Also, you don't want a 2 pole motor and you don't want too short a belt. Both are reasons for endless finishing cuts problems, sometimes.

Don`t shoot the messenger
This is a forum for proffessionals
Not hobbiest
There has to be a line drawn
If he wants help, there are plenty places glad to help him out

Peter

Give me a couple of hours to see what's what. Haven't priced these things in a while.

Option 1) should run around $250-$300.

No need to rush into this - the motor (factory) fitted will work OK at least for a while. You'll have to see what you feel is wrong with the factory motor so that you can make a good decision. I suspect that you will want BOTH higher rpm and better torque at low rpm. Then, we MUST take a look at your machine's gearing/pulleys etc. Also, you don't want a 2 pole motor and you don't want too short a belt. Both are reasons for endless finishing cuts problems, sometimes.

Thanks for your answer. I don´t know very much about lathes. This one looks good, but many people insisted me on the brushless motor. This one have 2 belt positions, so I think the torque at low RPM won´t be very bad...

Read the forum guidelines please
Machinery Discussion Guidelines
You will notice that it is not allowed to discuss these low grade hobby machines here

I know It should be in a more noticable place but regardless

Peter

My apologies if I breake a forum rule. Before posting I saw some lathes threads so I tought it was OK. But hey, I´m buying a lathe from your country!

No need to be so full of "it". I think you can mind your business. Beginer needed a little help - you, many times needed help........ and still need......

Thank for your support

I think I have found a better options, the WEISS WBL 180. It has tampered bearings, and brushless motor

What do you think about this machine?

Don`t shoot the messenger
This is a forum for proffessionals
Not hobbiest
There has to be a line drawn
If he wants help, there are plenty places glad to help him out

Peter

But you are not "professional". Many here are not "professional". I am "professional". I did trade school and aprenticed and worked for machine tool manufacturers. I have all the papers. In German. Many here do ? I do not think so.

The young man asked a question and it is not a big deal. Try to be nice because these are very difficult times for everybody and there is not much "activity " on the forum to upset the "professionals".

Try to be nice in difficult times !

But you are not "professional". Many here are not "professional". I am "professional". I did trade school and aprenticed and worked for machine tool manufacturers. I have all the papers. In German. Many here do ? I do not think so.

The young man asked a question and it is not a big deal. Try to be nice because these are very difficult times for everybody and there is not much "activity " on the forum to upset the "professionals".

You do not get the point
There is not much activity to upset the proffessionals because that activity is kept away here
If these post get allowed within no time the forum will get swamped with these posts and the real goal will vanish

Also it is not about the person but about the subject If this person asks about a 70 year old professional machine that same person is welcome here
Both proffessionals and hobbyists are welcome here discussing subjects suited to this forum

Peter

If this person asked about machining or anything to do with machining (cutting metal) then they are welcome.

The China hobby machines ARE NOT.

This forum is NOT a hobby forum.

If your running a hobby machine and need advice on metal work in general then you are in the correct forum.

If your asking about a lathe/mill and it’s a hobby machine then your best off finding another forum like HOBBYmachinist.

The creator of this site did not want low cost hobby machines to be discussed on here as that would OVERWHELM the forum as this is PRIMARILY a place for PROFESSIONALS to discuss metal working.

PROFESSIONAL on HERE generally means ANYONE turning for a PROFIT.

If your a hobby guy with a reasonable question you will only get REASONABLE answers.

But start a threat titled “help me please”

And say “ I have chatter on this cut I’m doing”

You’ll get the beating you (probably) deserve.

Ps: remember, I have 24 hours In a day,

You have 24h a day

The op has 24h a day,

Your time is not anymore important (especially to me)
Then my time is.

Most here help, but most are long past raising a child.

Please do your part.

robert, dont wory about the motor. at least not before you have at least 20 hours of running time on the machine. i think you will encounter more imediate/important problems to address. i personnally dont see any reson to have a brushless motor on a lathe and most of them dont.

btw, does that "weiss" even have any gears? if not, stay away.

maybe you should buy from more well known dealers in chinese lathes, to get better after sales support. search General -

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS
for this topic, you will find a lot of info, i believe i listed the main european distributors myself in one of the threads a while ago.

If this person asked about machining or anything to do with machining (cutting metal) then they are welcome.

The China hobby machines ARE NOT.

This forum is NOT a hobby forum.

If your running a hobby machine and need advice on metal work in general then you are in the correct forum.

If your asking about a lathe/mill and it’s a hobby machine then your best off finding another forum like HOBBYmachinist.

The creator of this site did not want low cost hobby machines to be discussed on here as that would OVERWHELM the forum as this is PRIMARILY a place for PROFESSIONALS to discuss metal working.

PROFESSIONAL on HERE generally means ANYONE turning for a PROFIT.

If your a hobby guy with a reasonable question you will only get REASONABLE answers.

But start a threat titled “help me please”

And say “ I have chatter on this cut I’m doing”

You’ll get the beating you (probably) deserve.

Ps: remember, I have 24 hours In a day,

You have 24h a day

The op has 24h a day,

Your time is not anymore important (especially to me)
Then my time is.

Most here help, but most are long past raising a child.

Please do your part.

I think The Righteous Ones have made the points already. Your post is really way too long, most of us understood immediately you do not wish to read stuff from amateurs. Rules are rules, nothing to really complain about. Mind you however I do not see where they are ( not on a cursory look ) and the Forum INVITES people to register.... Traffic seems pretty low at the moment. And traffic = adds = income.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back