What's new
What's new

Help with B-Series V-Belts

cobbonthecorn

Plastic
I have a knee mill that uses step pulleys to change spindle speeds. (Basement ceiling is too low for a "real" milling machine.) The original belts started to crack so they needed to be replaced. The original belts were made by SquareKnot or something like that, are Series B V-belts, and were very rigid in tension. The only belts I could locate locally were Gates. The issue is the Gates belts seem to be too "soft". That is they tend to stretch under load and this results in chatter that I didn't have before the belt change. Any suggestions for replacement belts? Thanks in advance!

We have a couple of 30 horse power boring machines, the drives use 3 B series belts, we use Gates and yes they tend to stretch slightly when first installed after intimal stretch and re-adjustment there good to go the distance. If your belts are new leave them under load to take out the stretch. B series belts ride/grip on both sides of your pulleys they should never ride in the bottom of the pulley. Make sure that your pulleys are in good condition and not worn.

dana gear- Thank you! Pulleys are in great shape. Belts are new so I'll follow your advice and let them "sweeten" a bit before any more problem solving.

Back