What's new
What's new

HELP on welding and removing stuck key on motor shaft

loowee

Plastic
I have this motor in a Shopsmith 10ER i just bought locally.
IMG_2230.jpg

I was planning to weld this bracket on the motor but I wasn't sure if I have to disassemble the motor first
IMG_2227.jpg

But to disassemble the motor i have to remove the pulley but the previous owner wedged a key and I can't figure out for to take it off
IMG_2228.jpg

Welding a sliding hammer is the only way I can think of but that means I'll be welding with the motor intact. Will I damage anything if I do so?

If you weld on the key be sure to clamp the ground on the pulley. If the grounding current flows through the bearings it wont be long before you need new ones.
If I had to weld that bracket on I would just so about 100 small tack welds, small enough to not really heat up the inside of the motor case. Tack it in 2 or 3 spots and come back in 1/2 hr and 2 or 3 more.

Are you sure the key is wedged? Have you tried using a normal pulley remover? It may just slide over the key. Make sure there's not a set screw or pin in there somewhere holding the pulley on.

Thank you for all the replies. I was able to get the key off by welding a makeshift slide hammer to it. It wasn't wedged after all :D

Back