What's new
What's new

HLV-H Scrape or Regrind Crosslide

Veebee

Plastic
I've been cleaning up my Hardinge, and the thing was just packed with brass and grease. Is this amount of wear on the cross-slide within scraping range, or should I start thinking about getting somebody to regrind them? There's a similar amount on the compound, but the compound is also cracked, so I will likely removing it forever.

YxapHU2.jpg

uHn2zUn.jpg

Thanks for your time,

Victor

I've been cleaning up my Hardinge, and the thing was just packed with brass and grease. Is this amount of wear on the cross-slide within scraping range, or should I start thinking about getting somebody to regrind them? There's a similar amount on the compound, but the compound is also cracked, so I will likely removing it forever.

YxapHU2.jpg

uHn2zUn.jpg

Thanks for your time,

Victor

It surely won't win a beauty contest but... how much play or "hourglass" end-binding does it have if you stone it smooth of galling or burrs, re-assemble, and measure for deviation?

Not impossible it could still work better than it looks?

Thanks for your time,

Victor

Stone it A BIT and put it back. It is nothing wrong with it.

It surely won't win a beauty contest but... how much play or "hourglass" end-binding does it have if you stone it smooth of galling or burrs, re-assemble, and measure for deviation?

Not impossible it could still work better than it looks?

On the cross slide, not too much actually. The binding is much more pronounced when moving the carriage. I still need to get that apart and cleaned up too. I'm horrified by what I've found to have waited this long to clean it out. The gibs have a similar amount of wear on them, as expected.

I've been cleaning up my Hardinge, and the thing was just packed with brass and grease. Is this amount of wear on the cross-slide

I am curious if anyone knows for the reason for so much wear on machines doing a lot of brass. I saw this before but I have no explanation. Someone told me brass is "Acid" but I think that is hard to believe.

I am curious if anyone knows for the reason for so much wear on machines doing a lot of brass. I saw this before but I have no explanation. Someone told me brass is "Acid" but I think that is hard to believe.

We did a lot of it. Alpaca metal as well.

My guess is the damage is from the habit of working it dry and the machine near-as-dammit bone-dry, too.

Because you can, as far as cutting. And because the way it makes chip makes "dry" easier to clean.

But then they DO NOT. Keep clean. Not in high-volume, small-part, balls to the walls flat-out collet-runner production, Hardinge & sputniks.

And the fines get into EVERYTHING and become pot-scrubber substitutes, adding Iron-fines from fretting.

In the dry, yet.

A Hardinge dovetail-bed machine is actually damned good at being far less bothered by that than conventional vee and flat way lathes are.

Hardinge Brothers may have seemed to have their feet on opposite legs from the rest of the world. But they had sound reasons for most of "Hardinge-weird" in the markets they dominated.

2CW

We did a lot of it. Alpaca metal as well.

My guess is the damage is from the habit of working it dry and the machine near-as-dammit bone-dry, too.

2CW

Never passed my mind. You are right ! When I saw this before that machine also ran dry. Good call, Sir !

Why not scrape it? How much wear is there? You can always mill and then scrape if the wear is that bad.

Why not scrape it? How much wear is there? You can always mill and then scrape if the wear is that bad.

But why scrape ?

The wear seems pretty uniform and the OP does not seem unhappy with the accuracy. Don't look for problems until problems look for you.

But why scrape ?

The wear seems pretty uniform and the OP does not seem unhappy with the accuracy. Don't look for problems until problems look for you.

If you are set up to do it scraping a cross slide isn't a huge project, even just a few hours doing some measurements and scraping with a Biax will make a big difference even if it doesn't get all the way back to factory new spec. I think the ability to tighten up the gibs and have a more ridgid machine is almost more important than simpl accuracy.

While I would agree that for a big heavy lathe the wear isn't necessarily a problem the point of a machine like a HLV-H is accuracy and refinement so scraping the compound and cross-slide seems reasonable to me for a rather modist investment of time. It is what I would do, and have done on my own machines.

If you are set up to do it scraping a cross slide isn't a huge project, even just a few hours doing some measurements and scraping with a Biax will make a big difference even if it doesn't get all the way back to factory new spec. I think the ability to tighten up the gibs and have a more ridgid machine is almost more important than simpl accuracy.

While I would agree that for a big heavy lathe the wear isn't necessarily a problem the point of a machine like a HLV-H is accuracy and refinement so scraping the compound and cross-slide seems reasonable to me for a rather modist investment of time. It is what I would do, and have done on my own machines.

Sure. Once you remove the Biax from the equation and provided you have the right tooling and some years of proper factory experience ( not the cowboy BS one sees on some Forums ) you can bring the parts in as new condition by scraping. But if an amateur scraper hand takes his tool to the machine one Sunday morning chances are it'll end up worse than now. The wear pattern there does not indicate to my decades of experience any accuracy issues worth "repairing". Of course, I may be wrong. :) One should keep in mind what dia that lathe is facing - that's where crossslide accuracy is an issue. That thing looked like a small wart and you could leave it alone and die with it but you chose to scratch it and now the cancer spread to the brain. DON'T FIX WHAT DOESN'T REALLY NEED TO BE FIXED.

Back