What's new
What's new

Home produced HSS scraper blades?

neanderthal mach

Hot Rolled
Fwiw I'm slowly gathering up information and the tools to at least do some entry level scraping. I did buy a Darpa hand scraper with the 40 & 60 mm carbide blades. Some years ago through a contact at the local sawmill I managed to pick up about a dozen used HSS planner blades of roughly an inch wide X 12" long and just about .125" thick. Compared to the Darpa main blade there obviously shorter and have quite a bit less spring to them. And yes I already know carbide is always going to retain it's edge for far longer between resharpening's. But does anyone have any thoughts about just how useful these might be for custom shaped and sized scraping edges by using the full length of these blades for more restricted areas and smaller dovetails. Or is this just a dumb as hell idea? Since I'm now retired I've got a lot more time than money, so if this could be made to work it would save me a few bucks.

Do not own a Dapra but have made lots of hand scraping blades out of HSS and old files.
Has worked well for me.
My bearing scrapers for a Cinci grinder are all HSS and would not want to use carbide. Rulon, turcite ways cut so fast that maybe dulled HSS better.
I am sure there will be many opinions and experiences.
Bob

I second Bob's suggestion of using them to scrape softer materials, like Turcite and similar polymers, and bearing metals.

For dovetails, personally, I would stick to carbide, despite the fact that, by tapering the top of the blade, you essentially cut in half the number of edges you can use on one insert (or blade). The reason for that is that scraping dovetails is already a somehow challenging job for the reduced visibility and, in most cases, the odd angle: you want get it done fast trusting the blade to cut uniform depth, rather than wasting effort with a dull blade (that you think is still sharp).

Another good use of HSS blades is to scrape off rust from machined surfaces, without digging into the good material.

Paolo

Thanks for the thoughts about scraping softer material since I hadn't thought of that yet. Lol, I try not to buy rusty equipment but do have a couple of future projects where there's at least some light surface rust. So another good point.

Back