Honing Tailstock Bore: Is a portable Sunnen adequate?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Honing Tailstock Bore: Is a portable Sunnen adequate?

I have the chance to pick up a portable Sunnen hone set with nearly a dozen stones for a stupid cheap price...

I may end up rebuilding my tailstock at some point, including boring and honing. Will the Sunnen portables do an adequate job or does it have to be the stationary units that are rigid setups?

ETA, this would likely see more use than just a 1-time tailstock hone-job. The price to get into a Sunnen hone is usually cost-prohibitive so I've never considered it. Even the portable I'm looking at sells for ~$500 on ebay with only a handful of stones. Am I thinking correctly that if one can be had for a fraction of that it would be stupid not to get it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy19 View Post
    I have the chance to pick up a portable Sunnen hone set with nearly a dozen stones for a stupid cheap price...

I may end up rebuilding my tailstock at some point, including boring and honing. Will the Sunnen portables do an adequate job or does it have to be the stationary units that are rigid setups?

ETA, this would likely see more use than just a 1-time tailstock hone-job. The price to get into a Sunnen hone is usually cost-prohibitive so I've never considered it. Even the portable I'm looking at sells for ~$500 on ebay with only a handful of stones. Am I thinking correctly that if one can be had for a fraction of that it would be stupid not to get it?
    Ive seen a couple videos on honing a TS bore. Don of Suburban Tools did a grinder TS on honing machine. Theres a Storebro video that shows them using a portable hone to finish up. A buddy with an engine shop honed mine for me.
    If theyre cheap why not grab them.

Country
    SWEDEN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it`s that cheap, just get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just beware you may have issues if there's a key or oil slot somewhere in the bore, depending on its width and length.

5. Likes pressbrake1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What model Sunnen hone is it, AN JN SN, and what is the size of your tail stock bore?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, buy it; they're handy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gappmast View Post
    What model Sunnen hone is it, AN JN SN, and what is the size of your tail stock bore?
    It's an AN... I'm thinking it's a tad too big for my 2.25" tail stock bore but I may be able to trade or sell it and buy smaller. Either way I think the posts have pointed out the obvious, if it's a good deal I need to get it even if it won't do my TS.

I can't find any reference to the model from sunnen so I'm not sure how small it will go but its coming from a shop that did small engine and automotive work... at this point I haven't yet seen it, just a picture of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The AN hone only goes down to 2.5". To hone your 2.25" tail stock you will need a JN95 hone and appropriate stones.

10. Likes CBlair liked this post