What's new
What's new

How to bring oversized taperd gib blank to fit on my mill?

addman16

Plastic
Hi guys, Im hoping someone here can help me.

I have a g0704 mill from grizzly and my old gib broke and I had to buy a replacement gib that was basically an oversized, longer and thicker cast iron blank.

So I've been doing some reading on scraping and using prussian blue. But the problem is that I dont have a mill or surface grinder to reduce the thickness of my gib. My only mill is the g0704.

The gib blank that I bought seems to have a taper on it already, but Im not sure if its the correct taper or not.

My biggest issue is reducing the gibs thickness. I have a bench grinder but I'm afraid that it wont create a smooth surface since its going to be by hand mostly.

I was wondering if I should look up a machine shop around me and see if they can ground the gib down to size and I can then do the hand scraping myself and cut the screw notch with a drill afterwards.

Just hoping there would be a way I could grind the gib down myself without having to send the part out. Any ideas

Thanks guys

Suggest watching Stephan Gotteswinter's youtube series on scraping a gib for a Schaublin 102. Different kind of machine, but same priciples apply. In fact I learn something from almost all of Stephan's youtubes.

L7

Likely you would need to figure the angle and length if sending it out.
How much too thick does it seem? Can it be set in the machine to see if the angle is correct?

Can you micrometer the old one and then the new one to see if the taper is the same as the broken one / the machine.
Taper at length =___ for so many inches.. and or taper at width across the gib=___.

Fix the busted one?

(I will assume break in mid length)

1. Record length of broken one

2. Cut out about 1/4" of length at break

3. Make l/r hand custom "bolts" with hex in middle

4. Drill/tap one end right hand and the other end left hand

5. Draw together with custom fasteners leaving 1/4" gap

6. Install gib

OR.....

Make a steel key so shaped to do the same thing - to fit in matching milled feature - and draw two halves together

To cut down the new gib you don't need a one-piece gib in your machine. Insert the two pieces of the old gib and adjust as necessary. Now you can machine your new gib down to proper thickness.

Might you table saw a piece of plastic and then hand whittle a temporary gib to at least to run your mill and machine the gib you need.
likely a plastic bar stock might cost $20 or so.and take 2 or 3 hours to make fit.
The right size bar stock (perhaps round stock) might not need be tapered (width way) to run the machine for a part or two.

Hi guys, okay so I got to working and luckily I had ordered two gib blanks and the second one fit in really well so I wouldn't need to trim it down. The taper was also put in and matches my old gib.

The old gib that came with the machine looked to be hand scraped on one side so I figured that I might have to get into some scraping. I've been doing some research and wrote down a few notes and diagrams and wanted to see what you guys think.

https://i.imgur.com/yVEKVGB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/K5DhZ7u.jpg

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 66
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 62

Back