I have an old tailstock with a stuck ram. What are the best ideas to loosen it? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you are going to use heat I would recommend Trizol Creep. I've removed a cast iron cleanout plug with it from a cast iron soil pipe that hadn't been apart in 50 years. Most plumbers just break them out but I had some on hand and thought I'd try it first.

Another old time trick is oil of Wintergreen. A guy I knew who played with antique tractors used to dose parts with it and then seal them in a container to reduce evaporation. In one case he separated the fuel cap from its filler neck from a tractor that had sat in a field over sixty years. He had to let it sit for weeks but it unscrewed after that.

2. Likes dcsipo, Mud liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, I got the ram out, but now I have a slightly bent screw. This bring up another question. What is the best way to straighten the screw? Chuck it up in a lathe and try to pry it straight? I watch Keith Fremer straightening boat shats, but does that apply to a 6" screw?

dee
    ;-D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was in Germany teaching at a machine rebuilder, they had an old worn out lathe that did straightened compound and cross-slide screws on. I shook my head as they did it but it worked. They had an indicator on the back side of the cross-slide and pushed it with a tool post sometimes using the tail stock and other times they didn't. I use to use the c-clamp technique I showed you for gibs, but had the shaft mounted in 2 V blocks. How about telling us how you got it out???? A BFH? Or pressed on the screw in the nut?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    When I was in Germany teaching at a machine rebuilder, they had an old worn out lathe that did straightened compound and cross-slide screws on. I shook my head as they did it but it worked. They had an indicator on the back side of the cross-slide and pushed it with a tool post sometimes using the tail stock and other times they didn't. I use to use the c-clamp technique I showed you for gibs, but had the shaft mounted in 2 V blocks. How about telling us how you got it out???? A BFH? Or pressed on the screw in the nut?
    Do you want the stupid part or the part that worked? The stupid part is I used the screw to test if it would move, it did, so I got excited, and hit it harder....you guessed it, I bent it. But it revealed that all that was inside the tailstock was solid and moved together. What worked is using a piece of 1" round stock a 2 lb hammer and knocking it out bit by bit.

dee
    ;-D
    Last edited by dcsipo; 09-12-2019 at 01:30 AM.

6. Likes Richard King liked this post