What's new
What's new

I need a vise repaired/refurbed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you spell out a little more detail on what you expect or want on a refurb? Some damaged threads are obvious, but beyond that, what? Do you know what thread it is, meaning is it a common metric or English thread? Knowing what the other end of the screw looks like would also help estimating the machining required. Since there's a nut on the inside, I'd assume that the female threads might be out of service too, but I don't want to assume too much.

And lastly, considering repair time and shipping two ways, even for a small part, have you looked into a simple replacement. Yeah, I hate to throw anything away too, but occasionally it's really the right time.

As an aside, this post probably would be more at home in the general forum than in a machine reconditioning section. It's just a repair job.

Could you spell out a little more detail on what you expect or want on a refurb? Some damaged threads are obvious, but beyond that, what? Do you know what thread it is, meaning is it a common metric or English thread? Knowing what the other end of the screw looks like would also help estimating the machining required. Since there's a nut on the inside, I'd assume that the female threads might be out of service too, but I don't want to assume too much.

And lastly, considering repair time and shipping two ways, even for a small part, have you looked into a simple replacement. Yeah, I hate to throw anything away too, but occasionally it's really the right time.

As an aside, this post probably would be more at home in the general forum than in a machine reconditioning section. It's just a repair job.

I will post it in the general forum - thank you

I will post it in the general forum - thank you

Might be more effective use of the global time-budget to just act on whatcha been given already. 20-30 minute jackleg repair, your own hand, under yer own roof, out of wotever goods handy are already present for duty.

MAYBE yah order a tap or some threaded-goods.

That's about it.... before it makes more sense to scout a better-made vise as does not have the problem and will-never. Or even a cheap one that will have unless treated carefully, but does not YET have issues.

Vises ain't like wives. Divorce is cheaper, and yah can still legally have more than just the one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back