What's new
What's new

Identifying a simply part to Drill Press

TobiasJenkins

Plastic
Sorry if this is not the right forum to post this in, but I for the life of me cannot identify a simple light socket on an old 1970's Cummins drill press I inherited from my father. With out a bulb, it is not grounding, and I get shocked turning on the machine. I want to get this up and running to use in my hobbyist shop, and just need to know what type bulb this is. Sorry for the novice question. Any help is extremely appreciated.

drill press light socket.jpg

Is it possible that it was a standard Edison base bulb socket, with the metal shell pulled out? I would be very surprised if it was anything else from a drill press that "new". If so, you might be able to purchase a porcelain fixture and rig the metal shell back into that insulator.

You have deeper problems with the machine than the socket. The wiring needs to be thoroughly checked and repaired before you do anything more with the press. At least plug it into a gfci circuit or cord before you attempt to turn it on again.

Is it possible that it was a standard Edison base bulb socket, with the metal shell pulled out? I would be very surprised if it was anything else from a drill press that "new". If so, you might be able to purchase a porcelain fixture and rig the metal shell back into that insulator.

You have deeper problems with the machine than the socket. The wiring needs to be thoroughly checked and repaired before you do anything more with the press. At least plug it into a gfci circuit or cord before you attempt to turn it on again.

Well luckily I have some spare fixtures I can pull the shell from and try that.
The "shock" is more like a joy buzzer. Just a notable electric tingle. It was on the power switch plate when the ground was tied to the light mount and body of the drill. When I removed the light and tied the ground together (not attaching it back to the body), the "shock" moved to the handle.
I'll have to have someone with more electrical knowledge than me check it out. Thank you for your reply!

I ordered a spare drill press lamp socket recently. Had to do some fitting on the ears but now it works great. I don't remember which company I ordered it from, probably Grizzly, Jet or HF.

Back