What's new
What's new

Interest in Richard King Scraping Class in Tucson, AZ December 2015 or January 2016?

charalson

Aluminum
Hi there, long time lurker here, first time poster. As the title says, I would like to host a Richard King scraping/rebuilding class at my home in Tucson, AZ this upcoming winter. Possibly December or January. I've been talking with Richard about this and he is interested, assuming of course you all are as well. Winter is still quite a ways away, but I want to gage the general interest in this. I don't think I can recall seeing a class hosted in Arizona, so this may be a good opportunity for anyone in the southwest who has found the long traveling distances prohibitive in the past (as I have). Tucson certainly isn't a pleasant place to visit in the summer (at least not for me), but it is lovely in the winter, sunny with daytime highs averaging in the mid to upper 60s and sometimes 70s. That would also be a great break for all you snowbound guys up north. We also have the famous aircraft bone-yard here, the Pima Air and Space Museum, and the Titan Missile Museum as well, in case you've wanted to see them but never had an excuse to visit. So who is interested in this? If not, what would you need in order to become interested? Hope to hear from you all soon.

Chris.

I am interested in the class

Hi there, long time lurker here, first time poster. As the title says, I would like to host a Richard King scraping/rebuilding class at my home in Tucson, AZ this upcoming winter. Possibly December or January. I've been talking with Richard about this and he is interested, assuming of course you all are as well. Winter is still quite a ways away, but I want to gage the general interest in this. I don't think I can recall seeing a class hosted in Arizona, so this may be a good opportunity for anyone in the southwest who has found the long traveling distances prohibitive in the past (as I have). Tucson certainly isn't a pleasant place to visit in the summer (at least not for me), but it is lovely in the winter, sunny with daytime highs averaging in the mid to upper 60s and sometimes 70s. That would also be a great break for all you snowbound guys up north. We also have the famous aircraft bone-yard here, the Pima Air and Space Museum, and the Titan Missile Museum as well, in case you've wanted to see them but never had an excuse to visit. So who is interested in this? If not, what would you need in order to become interested? Hope to hear from you all soon.

Chris.

Chris,

I am interested in attending the class. You're right that it is a bit far off. If one pops up in California before that time I may opt to attend that one.

David

No worries, David, I would have liked to hold the class sooner but those months are the soonest Richard would be available. While I'd love to be able to host here in Tucson, I would likewise attend one in California if there doesn't appear to be enough interest in a Tucson class.

The host in CA belongs to several organizations: Black-Smiths, Clock makers, Wood Workers and he drops of leaflets at the community colleges, University Engineer class rooms, he has even placed ads on Craig's list. He also ask his friends who chat on other boards to spread the word. Last year we were about to cancel the Kalamazoo MI class but a few weeks before the cut off date we got 5 students. I could also advertise on Ebay. Lets pick a date and start to advertise. Might happen,might not, but we will give it a good try. Rich

I WANT TO DO IT.my texas trip inter fired on a show in Kansas that week end so had to pass .On Richards show so don't want to miss the nextone.Unless some one cancels in texas I would like a shot at it

Well it looks like we're finally getting some traction on this. I'll keep spreading the word. Kevin, that's mighty generous to offer your shop as a venue, but I was initially hoping to hold the class at my place so I could get some of Richard's insights on my beat-to-death dog of a Bridgeport. But if everyone wants to, your shop certainly provides a more stimulating environment, and I'm sure the other members would love to check it out. Maybe I could talk Richard into taking an hour long "field trip" over to my place to look at my machine and give me some pointers. I was too busy oogling all the sweet machines at your place, I didn't see a surface plate, I could probably winch my 36x48 up onto a trailer and bring it by for the class if you had room. I'll keep this thread alive over the upcoming months and I'll continue to seek out people who might be interested.

The key is to keep saying something now and then...weekends or holidays...you can ask everyone who may be members to other clubs or forums to talk about it...be very proactive as not many will be looking back in the achives for classes....You can place an ad on CL, when I get home I can place and ad for this one and the DC class if we find a place and date. I'll be staying in touch on my laptop. Back to packing. Rich

Last edited:
interested in la or tucson, details as to how many days and the price would be great.

I am interested in a class. I live in Seattle which probably means I'm traveling to the class. Tucson is easy to get to from here and getting out of the rain would be nice. January works better for me. Christmas, family and friend events seem to take over December making it hard to fit in a class.

I am interested in a class. I live in Seattle which probably means I'm traveling to the class. Tucson is easy to get to from here and getting out of the rain would be nice. January works better for me. Christmas, family and friend events seem to take over December making it hard to fit in a class.

Ditto on that, but I would like to get out of the 30 below and 6' of snow. Picture taken on my deck a few winters ago. Lets discuss what date in January or February would work best for everyone to get the show on the road. I just sent Chris a message saying we need to start the process and pick a date. I have nothing scheduled for 2016 accept May the wife and I are going on a cruise.

PM Chris or me with your Email and we will send you more details. My Email is [email protected] too.

Attachments

• DSC00097.jpg
    DSC00097.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 84
Sorry I haven't been more active on here lately guys, but I've been busy with work and other things. I'm glad to see we're starting to garner some interest in this class. Let's keep the conversation going on this thread, but anyone who is interested should also email me at [email protected], and I'll start to get together a list of everyone who is interested. We need at least 8 people to make this work. As far as setting down a specific date, I may be changing shifts at work in the next week or two, so it would be too risky to set a date right now. But we should have something firm we can put on the calendar in the next week or two. Richard has options for a 3 day class and a 5 day class. I could host the full 5 day no problem if enough people are interested. So just to recap, let's keep discussing on this thread, and for everyone who is interested, contact me via the email above.

Thanks,

Chris.

Back