What's new
What's new

Kingway copy on a Lodge & Shipley Powerturn

gbent

Diamond
I am aligning and evaluating a 2013 Powerturn using my Kingway copy. What do you use for support on a lathe where both carriage ways are positive (ie vee ways)? I am thinking a very short C section with a socket for the ball, but I would like to hear your ideas Richard.

On top of the one double V is a flat area about 1/4" on some and 1/2 on bigger ones. They ground that at the same set up when they ground the V's so set the ball ring or ball on there. Then if you want to see how much wear is in the bed you can clamp on a indicator on the ball shaft and indicator on the ways and move it. Also if the lathe is assembles set the level on the saddle wings and use the saddle as a Kingway and crank saddle down the bed. Head stock end under removed chuck and the farthest to the right TS end. Vintage Machinery has a description on the last book reprint on their list last time I looked. :-) For those who don't know, Glen is one hell of a good scraper...he also had a good teacher :-) Rich

Thanks for the kind words Rich. I have to hurry up and move this lathe before I become really attached to it.

Back