What's new
What's new

KO Lee grind head way lube felt replacement?

metalmagpie

Titanium
(Sorry, I posted this to the wrong sub-forum.)

My grinder head squeaks when it comes down after being raised up high. It is lubricated by two little oil reservoirs on the grind head. The oil gets to the ways via two felt wicks.

My machine shipped in 1970. I'm guessing those felts have never been replaced and are hard as concrete.

I have never replaced round felts before. Any tricks I should know about? I'm pretty sure I can get the material from McMaster.

metalmagpie
K.O. Lee S618HG

We have some very old custom gear cutting machines around here, there from WWII. tons of felt oilers.
They use round and flat felts, My wife found all different types of felt at our local crafts store. Michaels, I believe there a national chain store. got a entire bag for a couple bucks.

Use some tobacco pipe cleaners. buy the bigger ones 3/8" x 12" and if they are to big, twist some small ones up and try them. One more thing is be sure the head-stock is loose enough so it is hanging on the nut. A good way to check that is put a mag base on he head and indicator table and lower had a few thou. and then use you hand and try to bump it down ..hit top of guard. It should not move if it is loose.

Back