What's new
What's new

Large capacity grinding company in USA

Richard King

Diamond
In another thread we are discussing ceramic scraper blades and we went off Subject about scraping hardened ways. To make a long story short. One member mentioned he can't find a grinding house who can grind their slant bed lathe. I contacted my friend Bob Abbott of Abbott Machinery in Alton, IL who rebuilds large machines and he told me they use Dynamic Industries in Cincinnati, OH. Rich

Dynamic Industries in Ohio.
Marena Industries in Hartford CT. I have personally been in this shop and a first class operation.

Dynamic has some of the largest machines but Marena could do this job as well.

Not many more big way grinders out there.

You could try Fraser Grinding in MI. Not sure how big they can do, I am thinking they can surface grind something like 10'. They did the support rails on a G&L manual boring mill some years back.

I think the one at Marena is that big. I saw it once. But I also think, that they are trying to sell it. Anybody want to give
something like that a home??

regards,

Jon

We have a local rebuilding company here in Seekonk (yes Seekonk, it is Indian for "black goose") that rebuilds Bullard (sp?) machines, which are HUGE. They also make these HUGE gantry mills. They have a surface grinder that is immense. I am thinking of going over there to ask them if they do take on work from the outside other than their own...

Anybody on the west coast? I've got a bed about 14' long i'd like ground, or even a fall fishing vacation for some who would be willing to scrape a bed. warning it's 73 years old and not hardened.

Anybody on the west coast? I've got a bed about 14' long i'd like ground, or even a fall fishing vacation for some who would be willing to scrape a bed. warning it's 73 years old and not hardened.

Scaffer grinding in Montebello, they have a very good reputation

schaffergrinding.com/

I got in big trouble for mentioning Schmiede before but since Richard mentioned them. I had dropped a small lathe bed on Thursday and picked up Monday. They did great work and were reasonable. Convenient to me in east Tenn.
Ben

Shane Carr - one of our members in the forum -Collector - is his name I believe has 2 way grinders and in in

Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, V3C 6N3 - Near Vancouver
http://www.carrsmachining.com

I got in big trouble for mentioning Schmiede before but since Richard mentioned them. I had dropped a small lathe bed on Thursday and picked up Monday. They did great work and were reasonable. Convenient to me in east Tenn.
Ben

?? Trouble??? Why? I have mentioned them several times before and never had an issue.

There's also Quality Grinding in Buena Park, CA. They have some massive grinding machines, are aerospace certified and are a pleasure to work with.

http://qualitygrinding.net/

Last edited:
A Great West Coast Grinding Firm

I recently had Quality Grinding in Anaheim, Ca. regrind my 9" X 42" milling machine table. Their shop and machines are massive and they work at a very reasonable price. When you call, ask for Cornel. Disney Land is close by and you can play while they regrind the ways on your machine. They work to ASTM specifications if you wish.

I recently had Quality Grinding in Anaheim, Ca. regrind my 9" X 42" milling machine table. Their shop and machines are massive and they work at a very reasonable price. When you call, ask for Cornel. Disney Land is close by and you can play while they regrind the ways on your machine. They work to ASTM specifications if you wish.

Was this on a Bridgeport perhaps? When I went in there to drop off my welding table to get Blanchard ground, I heard of someone who had their Bridgeport table and saddle ground the same day. That wasn't you was it?

I just checked out the quality grinding site. The have some of the very first Mattison way grinders with the vertical spindle. Besides in Brochures I had never actually seen one on operation. Pretty cool stuff there.

I just checked out the quality grinding site. The have some of the very first Mattison way grinders with the vertical spindle. Besides in Brochures I had never actually seen one on operation. Pretty cool stuff there.

If you are ever in the area stop by there and ask for a tour. I only spent a few hundred bucks getting my welding table parts blanchard ground and they gave me the red carpet tour. They were ID and OD grinding the carbon fiber telescoping landing legs for the SpaceX reusable launch vehicle when I was there. It was pretty cool to touch something that was going to end up in space. (Yes, I'm a huge nerd.)

I met a few men at the IMTS show and they have large capacity grinding machines that do lathe beds and are machine rebuilders also.
Chris Jensen at KC Machine, www.kc-machine.com They are in Excelsior Springs, MO. He sounded like he knew his stuff. Also met Steve Halbrader of Dial Machine in Rockford, IL Default Parallels Plesk Panel Page He said he knows Cash one of our members and also worked for Mattison Machine.. 815-397-7994

Back