Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like KC has one nice way grinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Looks like KC has one nice way grinder.
    Cash, how do they test straightness and flatness on these larger machines? I've seen claims for ~.0001"/ft, is that realistic in a normal shop environment?

3. Likes cash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

KC is the one that ground my 10EE ways. They did a nice job. Bob

5. Likes Richard King liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought I would re-post this one. Yesterday someone asked me about a Californian grinding house hat could do a lathe bed. If you know anyone new add it please. Rich

7. Likes cash liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    ?? Trouble??? Why? I have mentioned them several times before and never had an issue.
    Nice people to deal with. They've done a couple for me as well. They let me know when they had a opening and had everything done by the next morning. Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are in Europe I could recomment De Rooy Slijpcentrum | Groots in Precisie
    Max capacity for CNC surface grinding 8000x3000x1500mm (314" x118''x59'')
    CNC So they can ever pre-wear the ways for you

Peter
    Last edited by Peter from Holland; 03-01-2018 at 09:12 AM.

10. Likes Lumberjack, pressbrake1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been using Schaffer Grinding in SoCal for a number of years and have always been pleased with there work.
    Cheers Don

12. Likes Richard King, cash liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in a small shop in painsville (ohio) and had a large(ish) way grinder.

does W&S rebuilds.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since this thread is back up and getting responses...

I think I want to get the table of my mill ground before I attempt to start scraping on it, and I did a bit of looking around in the Michigan area. Has anyone done any business with either Detroit Edge Tool Company (Surface Grinding, Precision Grinding, Mattison Grinding, Blanchard Grinding, and Large Grinding by Detroit Edge Tool Company) or Spartan Grinding (44 Error - Wolverine Bronze They both seem to be setup for *way* more than anyone would need to do a 42x9 mill table.

Thanks,
    Will

15. Likes cash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I need to add another Place located in Roberts Wisconsin (about 20 minutes east of St. Paul, MN). I have to say I know this company as I know Cash's and both do excellent work. Also if you look at his proto Gallery You will see he has a set of my King-Way Straight-edges and the 8' camelback he has on the first page of his web-site used to be mine. I stopped and shot the breeze with Rick the owner last week and he has a new to him Mattison Surface Grinder I'm guessing a 30" x 60" chuck, or something like that and he also has a couple of large planers with milling heads that he can also grind lathe beds on. His old openside Cleveland used to be mine. A & D Machine Tool Rebuilding, Inc. | Machine Tool Rebuilders, Way Machining and Hand Scraping, Turcite and Rulon Application

17. Likes cash liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wcunning View Post
    Since this thread is back up and getting responses...

I think I want to get the table of my mill ground before I attempt to start scraping on it, and I did a bit of looking around in the Michigan area. Has anyone done any business with either Detroit Edge Tool Company (Surface Grinding, Precision Grinding, Mattison Grinding, Blanchard Grinding, and Large Grinding by Detroit Edge Tool Company) or Spartan Grinding (44 Error - Wolverine Bronze They both seem to be setup for *way* more than anyone would need to do a 42x9 mill table.

Thanks,
    Will
    I do know Detroit Edge, actually a competitor of ours on the Knife side. But I will say if they are local to you give them a shot. They should be able to handle your mill table.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    I thought I would re-post this one. Yesterday someone asked me about a Californian grinding house hat could do a lathe bed. If you know anyone new add it please. Rich
    714-228-21 | Quality Grinding Co. Inc. - Home

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Cash, how do they test straightness and flatness on these larger machines? I've seen claims for ~.0001"/ft, is that realistic in a normal shop environment?
    These checks either have to be done with a precision level or laser on either your grinder or the part you are grinding. Remember you may grind parallel but you may not be grinding flat. When you grind a machine tool base, lets say a lathe bed, if you are not grinding flat, you could put a hump or hole in the bed and when it comes time to turn parts you could have issues.

When we grind smaller machine bases we will check them before and after on a granite base, then when we start to grind we know where it should touch off first and then clean up last.

The Kinetic Co., Inc. on Instagram: “Starting to set up and get some initial dimensions for regrinding the ways on @kingtutley South Bend lathe. Before starting the bed we…”

I can only grind up to 120" long machine bases on the way grinder so this is smaller in comparison to many of the big way grinders.

Having a solid foundation under you way grinder and then making sure the base is straight and level is key. I do all of my own leveling and scraping on our tables and bases to ensure our grinders run to factory spec.

When you think about it- .0001" / foot is pretty realistic. Spread that out say over 10' and you can be out up to .001".

Here are some links from when I have set up our machines.

Assembling our Mattison Way and Surface Grinder

The Kinetic Co., Inc. on Instagram: “Just finished leveling the grinder bed. I used my Fell Precision All Way Level and Ingersoll Wire Micrometer. The base is level within 1…”