What's new
What's new

Rahn Granite Angle questions on Rahn and value

Jarrod

Aluminum
I have a lead on a granite 2 x 6 x 9 right angle made by Rahn. I tried to find out more about the Rahn company, but haven't been able to. What happened to them? Were they absorbed by Starrett or another manufacturer? How long have they been out of business or are they under a new name altogether?

Just wonder what would someone expect to pay for an uncalibrated angle in this size, in relativelty decent ondition, based on observation alone? I assume it was an A grade.

Thanks!

FWIW I bought a Rahn granite square from Small Tools Inc about 10 years ago, it had a 5/8' wide steel parallel embedded in one face to align it with a table slot, it's about 12" x 8 " x 2' thick, I paid about $100.

Value depends on how bad you need a reference square. The small size makes it difficult to fasten workpieces for inspection, and unless its a special configuration, very difficult to counterweight.

For something truly useful, get a 6 x 6 x 6 granite angle, four face if you can find it. I have one with embedded steel pucks so it can be used directly on a magnetic chuck as well as for inspection. It is easy to fasten workpieces to the angle, and you can check the third side for mutual perpendicularity.

Read up on how to self verify a square so you can check the accuracy of your master.

jarrod --

Rahn was absorbed by Tru-Stone. Sometime later, Starrett bought Tru-Stone and merged their own precision stoneware business into Tru-Stone.

John

Thanks John. I figured as much and imagine Collins Microflat met some similar fate. All great products in their own right.

Thanks again, all of you, for the insights.

J.

Back