What's new
What's new

Lathe feed rod roller bearing good idea or bad?

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
Like the title says,is it a good or bad idea to install a roller bearing on the rail stock side of feed rod? My feed rod vibrates the hell out of everything when I’m getting on it with a high rpm and fast feed rate. I can see it wobbling like me after I’ve had one beer “yeah I don’t drink” and it shimmy’s and shakes in the feed rod bored hole I guess you would call it.

So since there is nothing but hardened steel “most likely” rod and hole bored in cast iron “for sure” and no kind of bearing, just rubbing on one another with only an Oiler thing,would a good sealed roller bearing be the way to go to get all the slip out?

The rod is 19.96mm so a 20mm bore bearing should be easy to find and all I would have to do is chuck the block in the 4 jaw and get to boring the right diameter. Right?

Also where the rod goes through the apron or carriage and into another cast iron block where the cross and long feed gear is had a good bit of slop in it as well and wondering if that normal? I do not think it is but I’m new to this stuf,hints why I’m asking. Thanks guys/maybe even gals

The shaft could be bent too. Or someone removed the right side support bracket and didn't get it back on correctly. Take it out and investigate it yourself before you drink beer and it might be a bit clearer. The shaft is probably connected to the left end quick change using a tapered dowel pin. Be sure to hit on the small end using a pin punch a little smaller then the pin. A sealed bearing should be ok. Those bearings are usually a thrust bearing. Pictures, a make and model would be nice too.

Last edited:
I agree that we need more details. By the description I could imagine two things: the original bores/bushings are worn out and/or the feed rod is bent (relatively common problem when some wannabe rigger lifts a machine using webbing or chains around the bed without proper blocking and protection for leadscrew and feed rod).
I suggest you first make sure that the feed rod is not bent and, if it is, perhaps with the help of somebody who has done similar things before, straighten it.

Paolo

Back