What's new
What's new

Lead Paint on vintage machine tools

HiltzMachining

Plastic
I am reconditioning a Logan 6560 and decided that before I scrape off the old flaky paint on the base of the machine, that I should test it for lead for my own safety.

It ended up being positive for lead. I subsequently tested my DoAll surface grinder just out of curiosity and found that was also lead based paint.

You may want to take that into consideration when restoring machines.

I made a video of this process because it’s just something I don’t hear about frequently on the forums.

Testing Machine Tools for Lead Paint https://youtu.be/IeEayFHmj24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If something I am working on tests positive for lead and I need to remove the paint, I go for chemical removal vs mechanical like a wire wheel.

In this instance I chose to lightly scrape off the flakes, after thoroughly soaking them with purple power to keep things wet. This also helped remove any dirt and sludge because of the purple power. I also used a P100 mask. I chose not to sand the surfaces but just paint over what remained. Even though it wasn’t a perfect paint job, it still looks much better, and I think the risk/reward ratio was satisfied by doing it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same thing about 20 years ago. I only found one item (out of 6) had lead paint. I was testing machines that were pre-1940, and probably much older (and in general were painted black). I don't remember what tested positive. If I remember correctly, lead poisoning does affect memory ..., I think.

I recommend testing everything you intend to strip. I do (if I remember ...)

Vince

Cleaning up machinery can expose you to all kinds of things, I have machines used for machining beryllium, heavy metal should not be ingested, or get splinters under the skin.
I just cleaned out a lathe sump, that had close to a gallon of 111 trichloroethene, that was banned in the late 90s, that accumulated from using tapping fluids, that chemical has an unmistakable smell and does not evaporate. There probably was other banned chemicals in there also mixed with 10 gallons of thread cutting oil that had been in there for decades.
I use mask, gloves, and protective clothing like painters do when dealing with a mess like that.

This thread is stupid. Everything we do as a machinist exposes us to hazardous material. In each case of exposure, common sense applies and normal protective measures should be used. Donie's input is spot on. Lead paint exposure is nothing abnormal and is actually very limited. We don't see lead paint exposure everyday do we? Like Mr Green said we usually don't eat paint chips!

Back