What's new
What's new

Lodge & Shipley Help

Adamsmf

Plastic
Yeah I have an old l&S at work that I recently got going so I have a good lathe to make my parts on. I went thru it mostly linkages and gearbox issues and fixed all that then decided I wanted to get the micrometer ball stop in the handle working. Well I got stumped on this one can't decide how it presses apart and don't want to break anything. I'll try and post some pics on the phone right now don't see an option.

hang in there
dont break it
MikeC knows that system
hopefully he sees this soon
maybe try over in the antique forum

Hello I have a Lodge and Shipley 20” model XE lathe. It was running perfectly fine and now the length feed lever is stuck engaged. Has anybody ever had this issue? Any help would be much appreciated

Hello I have a Lodge and Shipley 20” model XE lathe. It was running perfectly fine and now the length feed lever is stuck engaged. Has anybody ever had this issue? Any help would be much appreciated

18" L&S weight

I just bought an 18 inch lodge and shipley lathe and in order to move it I need to know about how much it weighs. I can't find a model number on it. All I know is it is about 11ft long and the bottom pan is about 3ft wide. Any idea what it weighs?

L & S made a lot of lathes. If you can't find any ID, we are going to need pictures.

I just bought an 18 inch lodge and shipley lathe and in order to move it I need to know about how much it weighs. I can't find a model number on it. All I know is it is about 11ft long and the bottom pan is about 3ft wide. Any idea what it weighs?

Could be 100 years old and way under 10000. Could be sixty years old and weigh over 10000

Post #3 has a link to one of the how to threads for posting photos

Here is one of their gear head 18s from 1916 - less than 4000

L&Spg32.jpg

Here is a gear head "standard" 20" from 1953 - it weighed over 8000

DCP_1078.jpg

Here is an 18" Patent Head from 1910 - a little over 4000

045.jpg

Its their Selective Head from late twenties with add ons like the array of push buttons. VERY similar to the 1916 I posted above - probably around 5000.

I can tell its at least late twenties by the post 1927 clutch levers for long and cross feeds on apron. Not much "newer" since it has the old taper attachment from the teens. Serial will be between two REAR vee ways right end stamped into machined cast iron if you want a date

In case not known already these are SLOW - 354 top end - due to having plain spindle bearings of "white metal" - referring to BABBITT

Long time member Mike C has its brother - which he has a high regard for - he can tell you about the "unobtanium" spindle tooling - like chucks

The only "manual" - like they could not think of much else to write down

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2104/6068.pdf

Have fun

ON EDIT

Here is one of the spindle bearings (well, the cap anyway) - clearly a person could make new ones to suit. They are obviously intended / designed to be interchanged

LS Plain Bearing.jpg

Last edited:
It cost me $900 + $600 in equipment rental to move and unload it. So $1500 delivered, did I do ok?

I know more will be spent. This was a working machine up till a month ago when the owners of the business decided to retire and sell everything. Just wondered if I got a good deal for what I got.

I've worked on punch presses that had lead/BABBITT beatings that we used to re-pour.

Next question is motor HP. It's 3 phase and I only have single phase available so I'll have to get a phase converter.

I've worked on punch presses that had lead/BABBITT beatings that we used to re-pour.

Next question is motor HP. It's 3 phase and I only have single phase available so I'll have to get a phase converter.

I'll guess you have an early version of motor in leg. The July 1926 page says the 18" Selective Head wanted 5 to 7 1/2 HP motor - back when such things were either 900 or 1200 RPM

So I'd suppose you would want a converter capable of starting 7 1/2 or 10 HP

You may know a "converter" can be as simple as an old 10 HP motor that sits on the floor and you start it with a rope to make three phase. Any thing more modern / fancy is really just icing on the cake - and of course involves more money

Here is my 500 buck Hendey making 2K with one of those "rope starts" - not quite fifty years ago

18 X 6 Hendey.jpg

For anyone interested, I have one of the unobtainium back plates for these older machines. Guess I've been holding on to it, kinda hoping another, more complete, less franken shipley machine strolled into my life.

Back