What's new
What's new

Looking for a California Shop to host a scraping class

Richard King

Diamond
The former host in Vacaville CA has decided not to host the November Scraping class because of worries about the Pendemic. I would prefer out in the country vs in the city because of safety. Anywhere in CA. Host get the classes for free. We need a space that can hold 10 people around 2 work benches about 4' x 8',granite surface plate, a bathroom or we can rent a porta potty, Heat or AC, good lighting, etc. Message me please. Rich

PS: Also if you are in other areas of the country and interested learning how to rebuild machines and scrape shoot me a message. Pics are typical work area's we do the classes in. I have done them in 2 car garages to huge plants.

Attachments

• 20190223_091829.jpg
    20190223_091829.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 20200117_133907.jpg
    20200117_133907.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 20191101_091216.jpg
    20191101_091216.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 20180427_101224.jpg
    20180427_101224.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 125
All hope is not lost.

I just had a Gentleman in Burbank CA (just north of LA) offer to host a middle of November 2020 Class. I will keep you updated when he picks a date. He said he has AC and a gated lot. Tom Lipton also told me last winter he may know someone up near Sacramento who might be interested.

Possibly we can still do booth or 3. DH Mayeron in Berkeley CA is also looking .

I have never taught in the LA area. I have had a few folks down that way ask though.

Let me know if your interested. You can transfer, no problem. Rich

Hi Richard, Burbank would be awesome. I live in the Los Angeles and will definitely sign up for this class.

Burbank has a great airport, a fraction of the traffic of LAX.
McMaster Carr is 30 minutes away.

Hello Richard,
This is a bit late but I didn't see a date for this Burbank class?
Did it already happen?
Please advise.

Hello Richard,
This is a bit late but I didn't see a date for this Burbank class?
Did it already happen?
Please advise.

I wrote the coordinator of the Burbank class and here is what he wrote back yesterday 8/13/20:

Yes we are still on for holding scraping class at Null Space Labs 2522 N Ontario St, Burbank, CA 91504.

Null Space Labs

Wed Nov 11 to Sun Nov 15 still works.

The space is about 3000 sq ft, about 2000 of which is air conditioned. About 1000 sq feet is set up as a classroom, 1000 sq ft of lounge area, and 500 sq ft tool room. I’ll have at least one 2X3 surface plate available.
The space is walking distance or a quick Uber from the Burbank airport and an Amtrak / Metrolink station. LAX is about an hour’s drive south, depending on the time of day. Burbank is a much nicer airport, trust me.

There’s dozens of hotels to stay at nearby, too many to list.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I will start a list of students now. Email me at [email protected] and I will start to accept the deposit to reserve your spot. One of my Olympia students who has taken 2 classes has volunteered to be my assistant. I am up in Olympia WA. now teaching a class. This is day 3 of 5 and I will write more about this class after it's over as I am pooped out. Rich

I wrote the coordinator of the Burbank class and here is what he wrote back yesterday 8/13/20:

Yes we are still on for holding scraping class at Null Space Labs 2522 N Ontario St, Burbank, CA 91504.

Null Space Labs

Wed Nov 11 to Sun Nov 15 still works.

The space is about 3000 sq ft, about 2000 of which is air conditioned. About 1000 sq feet is set up as a classroom, 1000 sq ft of lounge area, and 500 sq ft tool room. I’ll have at least one 2X3 surface plate available.
The space is walking distance or a quick Uber from the Burbank airport

California recently ruled that Uber and Lyft drivers must be treated as employees. Uber has said they are going to pull out of the state if that ruling stands. So don't count on that service being available.

metalmagpie

I have never had students take Uber to classes. They drive their cars. I rent a car. I will also try to arrange a tour of Jay Lenox macjine shop and auto museum that is close to the lab. I will personally invite him to join the class or send one of his machinists to it. Matt Rulla our Olympia WA host grew up and went to university down there and hopes to join the class.

California recently ruled that Uber and Lyft drivers must be treated as employees. Uber has said they are going to pull out of the state if that ruling stands. So don't count on that service being available.

metalmagpie

False alarm. The action against Uber was stayed in court. Have fun. I have family in Burbank and know it well. Wish I could attend.

metalmagpie

Bring the Foster square and a few other Foster made straight-edges so we can ring the hell out of them and see if they change. Do that and you can only pay 1/2 price. They have a newer surface plate too...

Back