What's new
What's new

Looking for info on this power flaker

Cberan

Plastic
Hello all, first post but I have been scouring this site for years.

I picked up this power flaker at out local Goodwill for 10.00. I would just like to find out who made it and some info on the blades. It turns on and works, I ground up a piece of A2 and put it in and its not really doing anything. There is nothing to pull the blade back in after it strokes out.

Any info you all would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Chris

Attachments

• 20200201_171403[884].jpg
    20200201_171403[884].jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 20200201_171409[887].jpg
    20200201_171409[887].jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 20200201_171436[886].jpg
    20200201_171436[886].jpg
    89 KB · Views: 135
It may not need a retract since with flaking you're always on a rapid traverse forward moving line.

Dunno anything else about it so it may genuinely be nonworking for some other reason. Did you grind the tool like the Biax with a radius on the underside as well?

It's an interesting machine and the price was certainly right.

I have one of those. There is a spinning cam roll inside that drives the scraper blade. It only works when you are pushing. It makes kind of a chattering finish, not as clean as a Biax. Slowing it down with a router control box helps get a better pattern. My blades are all silver soldered carbide to steel stems

I saw that one in the tool pile there. It still had its makers tag on it. I dont know any more about that one. They do work ok, just need to figure out the action you need to give it to make a good pattern

I'll attach a couple of photos of ones like this that I have seen lately. The one I had was in the original steel box and had Borel & Dunner on the box. I heard somewhere that an employee at Borel & Dunner was making these but I don't remember where I read that, maybe on an old thread here. I read in one sales brochure how these were going to revolutionize the scraping business. I don't think they took off like they anticipated. The stroke is short and it basically just vibrates and you just move it like a hand scraper,but it takes less pressure than a hand scraper to take off metal. The photo below shows a scraper and a flaker. They both work too, but not as good as Biax.

These are cool old scrapers and a nice conversation pieces. These have been discussed many times here, search Borel & Dunner.

Attachments

• scraper.jpg
    scraper.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 32330.jpg
    32330.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 78

Back