What's new
What's new

Lots of rebuilding equipment 4 sale

Richard King

Diamond
A lot of rebuilding equipment 4 sale

Hey everyone, I heard from a friend about several pieces of rebuilding cast iron plates, straight edge, angle shelf's (blocks) for sale, but can't tell you where on here because of forum rules.

Write me and I will let you know. I am not sure I can even mention it in a PM. [email protected]

My surgery went fast,,,they gave me some pain killer and i was awake, but was stoned out of my mind....i haven't felt that way since i was a youngster....when I never inhaled ...lol

Typing with one eye shut is a challenge and when I do open that eye I see a super bright glare....they say in a day or 2 I will be better..... :-) Rich

In regards to these items for sale, I have special permission to post a thread about them. There is a dealer in Canada who is offering the items Richard mentioned on Ebay. These items were made by Busch Precision Inc in WI but were sold to the dealer last year in order to clear some inventory. I spoke with a representative from Busch about this and they confirmed it. A couple of things to make clear, Busch does not normally sell their items unfinished, so this is the only way you will likely be able to buy these type of items and save some real money doing it.

Now why would you want one of these surface plates? If you are going to attend one of Richards scraping classes you will need something to scrape on. Now of course anyone can scrape a square of bar stock for the experience but wouldnt it be nice if you ended up with a tool you can use for the rest of your life? You may not be able to finish the plate in the class but each plate has two sides and can be machined several times if you really screw it up. So there is lots of room for learning and you can always finish it later on your own.

Now about the seller, I do not know them nor have I ever done business with them so remember that the buyer beware. Make sure you check on shipping from Canada to the US. He mentions UPS and that is probably the best way to ship.

jrwoodca | eBay

Remember the forum rules state not to post about current auctions but in this case we have permission to do so.

Charles

Just another note, some of the items on the link are finished items and some are rough machined and some are even as cast so watch what you are buying. The 10 x 14 surface plates are esp what most people will be interested in but the other stuff might pick your fancy.

Charles

I have also purchased from this seller, multiple times, and everything was just fine. Only (occasional) headache is when UPS decides to play customs cop on shipments coming in to the US. Apparently customs clearance is a profit center for them. Does not reflect on the seller in any way. Seller always provides accurate customs declarations, including value, so no "$1 gift for my auntie" bullshit.

I have purchased, a couple of months ago, one of the unfinished Busch plates and a couple of rough-ground box parallels. They are precisely as described.

Me too- I bought a 24" ground straight edge from them and scraped it, it has been great.

It was boxed very well for shipping. I've been looking at their other stuff too.

A few years ago I taught class at Bushe and they will sell rough castings when over-stocked. They have some heavy duty angle camelbacks. Heavy, but are stable as heck. Also bushe has a nice way grinder and planer they can do your beds. Also there is a small rebuilder near Roberts WI who has a planer mill and grinders. Rich

Finally, some quality tools & fixtures that I don't have to pay the UPS extortion fee on ("brokerage", as they call it). Thanks for posting this.

I should say I have taught scraping classes at Bushe as recent as 2013 and know first hand they have some well maintained machine tools to make these SE's, and they have the inspection equipment and QC labs that are certified accurate. I have used these types of SE's and in my opinion they are not as stiff as camel-backs. They are light and can cover large area's but have a tendency to sag or bend into and over humps compared to a camel-back.

I just looked up these spec's from Bushes Web-page. 6100 Series - Cast Iron Parallel Straight Edges On Busch Precision, Inc. It looks as if they are giving .0001 in 12" straightness accuracy, but one thing they don't give is stiffness accuracy. If you had the time you could test it on a Grade Aor AA granite surface plate using feeler gage if you wanted to discover it they bend before use by your self. I can go into that later, but there are others on here who love to bloviate about facts that most rebuilders could care less to know.

It's simple but a bit more time consuming using this parallel type SE as you would use a precision level in conjunction. You would blue it up and rub it, check the hinge or where it pivots on each end, some call them the airy points, but I have called them the hinge points my entire 45 + yr career. If you gave me a choice to use one of these compared to a camel back, i would pick the camel-back a I would prefer not to have to spend the extra time checking the sag on the longer SE's.

I would think that if you were to call Bushe on Monday and ask them this question you would get some factual statistics. More then a experienced guess that I can give you. As one learns to scrape and check alignments you get a "feel" and how level it stays compared to the factory like Bushe inspection reports they keep on all their products over years of tests. Rich

Is this a useful straightedge for a reference once it is properly scraped? Am I better off looking for a camelback with the dovetail?

Busch Precision 1602 24" Hand Scraping Parallel Straight Edge Rough Casting | eBay

Richard pretty well summed it up. As to why it is limber, look at the section depth, the distance from top to bottom. Its relatively shallow. If you were to look at a purpose made scraping straightedge, the center would be 2-3 times further from the working surface. Busch also made parallel straight edges with much more section depth, more in the range of 4 times width. They would be more suitable for scraping, but even if the stiffness is adequate the weight is half again more than a camelback.

I suspect Busch made these castings to be used as boring mill parallels.

Dick,
The King brand straight edges were very good, I liked them, they stayed flat and were light.
Those arched backed ones I made were good as well, they were cast of semi steel and resisted
Wear very well, I have a 48 inch Bushe and it is very heavy. As long as you hang them from the end
they keep quite well.

Dresden

I had bought a bunch of angle plates and squares from Busch when they were selling this stuff. When I asked them what was going on they realized they had to clear out old inventory.

They are still making all of this stuff but I think more of it is to order or in way smaller quantities. I know they are making a lot of the aluminum straight edges that have the cast iron inserts on the edges.

I bought a square angle plate to use as a "master" to touch up all my other angle plates we use for production. It was a ground one and it was pretty close but not perfect, still within tolerance. I scraped it to a master granite square and it sits lock up until needed.

Busch has a super machine shop and very accurate Danobat grinders. I can debate though how they compare to my Mattison grinders........

As of late though they have been really pushing their Machine Rebuild division after buying out MSC.

May 6th they have a big expo/open house for this.

busch tools

HI , I am the guy with the Busch plates, straight edges etc.. for sale under the ebay user ID jrwoodca. I have been a member on the forum since 2002 but seldom have time to post anymore. Quite a few members have bought items over the years including Milacrons Aciera F4. If you have any questions about the Busch tooling please send me a message. We also no longer use UPS but use DHL as the rates are much more reasonable. Thank you , Jason

I just unloaded a new to me old Busch surface plate from my truck this evening. It is probably pretty old, 20''x36'' on a cast base; I was surprised to find it is tapped all over with I think 3/8'' holes. Does this make it a set-up table rather than an inspection table? It appears to have been well looked after, I was wondering if this would be better than a new cast plate as a scraping exercise? I have never worked with anything but granite surface plates before and have never done any scraping either but recently acquired a power scraper that I have not even plugged in yet.
suface plate.jpg

Back