What's new
What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhb

Aluminum
As my project to rebuild a mini-lathe as an instrument maker's lathe is unwelcome here I have started a list to discuss that and other machine tool related problems even as simple as alignment of the arbor of a table saw.

Please be sure to read the purpose and rules before joining.

Have Fun!
Reg

As my project to rebuild a mini-lathe as an instrument maker's lathe is XXX unwelcome XXX ^^^ inexplicable ^^^ here I have started a list to discuss that and other machine tool ^^^ shaped object ^^^ related problems even as simple as alignment of the arbor of a table saw.

There. Fixed that for yah.

Good to hear you are homing in on something you can actually handle. Especially as it is somewhere else!

Happy table sawing! Run short of tables, you mought want to look into cutting up chairs, yah?

That'll get folks up off their lazy arses, and you'll have yer standing ovulation into the bargain.

Win-Win, all around!

goodie! a new mensuration site. No belts, no pins, no pads!

Elephants? Of course not! See "covert menstruation".

Other than primates, bats, and elephant SHREWS (the OP's clan? Nothing especially "covert" about the LSO "grandstranding"...) most mammals not impregnated at estrous just re-absorb and get on with their lives.

That last part seems a good idea, regardless... Good thread for outright deletion, now?

If you hadn't noticed PM has laxed the rules on Asian machine tools over the last few years and prior to that if you just said "lathe" and not the make Milicron usually left them alone. A forum moderator told me he had a Asian copy of a Bridgeport and he calls his machine a Knee Mill on here. So no need for another special place in my opinion. I also will help anyone with problems if the just email me if they are shy about putting anything here. Plus any make machine can be talked about on the other forum that is mostly Hobbyists where I write too.. Or check my facebook page King-Way Scraping Consultants. We have rules there and don't allow BS.

The best part of being a PhD level scientist is that with a little bit of luck you are *always* a novice at whatever your are doing. Because no one has done that before. It's called "research".

Sadly, you usually have to spend more time than you would like doing minor variations of things you've done before.

But there's a reason they pay you so much to come to work. It's to do the boring stuff such as explaining the same old stuff to someone else who needs to learn to do that.

I had the great good fortune that no matter what I expected to do when I got to work, I very often did something completely different before returning to the work I had planned on.

I had the great good fortune that no matter what I expected to do when I got to work, I very often did something completely different before returning to the work I had planned on.

Phhht.. managed THAT much as an Army Private sojer on half a collitch education for $47.88 cents a month. With all I could eat, free clothing, housing, medical care, extensive travel, the DAMNDEST of forms of live entertainment with gawdawful-expensive "toys", and thutty days paid vacation a year as well.

Even got the full course in rapid recognition of pompous congenital f**k-ups from a great distance.

We all got that course if nothing else. "OJT", and with daily refreshers, too.

:)

The best part of being a PhD level scientist is that with a little bit of luck you are *always* a novice at whatever your are doing. Because no one has done that before.
In that case, perhaps I can save you some time -- people have scraped in lathes before. So your project of turning a Jet into a Hardinge can be placed on the shelf.

The best part of being a PhD level scientist is that with a little bit of luck you are *always* a novice at whatever your are doing.

I think you should consider editing/re-writing that post. People are going to jump all over that like stink on doo-doo. In reading your whole post and trying to read into them a bit, I can get the spirit of what you are trying to say. However, if you read the words you just wrote, then you will see why people are going to jump all over that. A PhD is an expert in the field. If you are a PhD, then you are, by definition, not a novice in your field. You may be applying your knowledge to a field that has not been explored and can be seen as simplistic 20 years from now but that doesn't mean you are novice. Do you consider Linus Pauling to be a novice because he got the structure of DNA wrong? Was he a novice in the field of chemistry at the time? If you truly feel that you are a novice in your field and have a PhD, then you should have a serious conversation with your defense committee. As I mentioned, I don't think that is what you are trying to say. You might want to consider editing that post.

In that case, perhaps I can save you some time -- people have scraped in lathes before. So your project of turning a Jet into a Hardinge can be placed on the shelf.

Optimist?

Only way anyone is ever going to "turn a Jet into a Hardinge" is to dive-bomb the poor Hardinge and not bother to pull the jet out of the dive, kamikaze-style.

Read: "messy process, expensive, and ultimately futile."

QED

:(

Well, something in the spirit of the thread. Probably most would agree that something like a Hardinge does live up to its potential in the as-shipped condition, something you can't say about inexpensive Asian manufactured machines. They never could be a Hardinge, but because of compromises in the manufacturing process they're not even living up to their limited potential. So the original proposition (as I understand it anyway) was to train the machine, get it to shape up and "Be all you can be."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back