What's new
What's new

Manual lathe rebuilding YouTube episodes

Stan Canada

Aluminum
We start a process of manual lathe rebuilding
27x120 Stanko 1M63 lathe.
Machine has multiple issue, however consider the capacity and market value we decide to start this project.
Whole process might take some time since we doing this one for our stock and during this time we still need to service our customers so please stay tuned.

YouTube

Here is an episode 4
We retrofit removable gap.

Click below

YouTube

Might be a little delay till next one since we doing emergency carriage restoration on large CNC lathe

Here is a quick video
Full episode will be ready in about 2 weeks

Facebook

I do own a lathe that was overhauled in Germany 30 years ago by the previous owner , for quite a fortune. No wonder if you see the amount of labor,tools, equipment and knowledge involved.
Interesting too see the process , thanks for uploading!

But...those hoists...it cringes me to see those parts handled with these single-speed units. I really think you should upgrade. (not meant as critism but as a point of improvement, I hope that is OK)

In the fourth episode it's interesting seeing Hi-Spot applied with a paint brush, suitably distorted and frayed. They guy knows how to do it, though, because the print of the bed from the newly scraped gap piece looks like a good impression. I bet they buy the Hi-Spot in the large tube, too.

I have enjoyed this video like the previous ones.
The only partial criticism I'd make, is that, given the fact that the bearing pads are fairly short both on the bed and on the gap, personally, I would feel more comfortable verifying the spotting with a straightedge on each pair of pads on the bed.
Definitely, you want to spot with the gap (or a properly sized plate) to make sure that all 4 sit on the same plane. But using only the scraped gap for the testing, you risk to achieve some false bluing by the rocking motion.
Another test I would perform would be to hit each corner with a dead-blow hammer, to verify that all 4 pads are contacting at the same time.

However, overall, great job!

Paolo

I do own a lathe that was overhauled in Germany 30 years ago by the previous owner , for quite a fortune. No wonder if you see the amount of labor,tools, equipment and knowledge involved.
Interesting too see the process , thanks for uploading!

But...those hoists...it cringes me to see those parts handled with these single-speed units. I really think you should upgrade. (not meant as critism but as a point of improvement, I hope that is OK)

Those cranes are ok if you know how to work the pendant controls carefully. The cranes with a creep speed only came out later in my career but we managed ok with the old style previously.

My technique for installations like that gap piece. Get a helper to hold the piece steady. Crane operator holds the pendant in his left hand then lowers the piece with quick stabs of the down button with his right hand index finger. That way it doesn't get bumped around on landing so much.
Using the thumb of the hand that holds the pendant doesn't give you enough control in my opinion.

Really big and delicate stuff - get a chain block for lowering the component.

Regards Tyrone.

We start a process of manual lathe rebuilding
27x120 Stanko 1M63 lathe.
Machine has multiple issue, however consider the capacity and market value we decide to start this project.
Whole process might take some time since we doing this one for our stock and during this time we still need to service our customers so please stay tuned.

YouTube

Please get rid of the background noise when speaking and turn the "music" down. Get your man proper hook spanners so he does not need to use screwdrivers punches and hammers on the nuts. over all looks good.

Here is an episode 4
We retrofit removable gap.

Click below

YouTube
Nice Video :)
just a few things we would do in a other way
- never check a part on a Lathe Bed that is not aligned (stands on Wood).
- to be sure it’s really flat, the surface of the gap you have scraped, needs to be checked for twist on a surface plate.
- to many "Ding Dongs" when moving the Part (especially on the Surface Plate)

You can hang a chain hoist in the hook of your cran. So you can move the last inch very fine by hand

greatings, Franz
from the Lüftinger Brothers

Guys, Yury has spent a lot of time and money professionally producing this series of videos. There is nothing out there like them on You Tube where pros rebuild a lathe with known issues.

So if you feel the compulsion to tell him and us how it is not how you would have done this or it, pony up the money and MAKE YOUR OWN SERIES OF VIDEOS.
And put whatever music on it YOU want.

Jeez, talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth to critique the dental work.

Last edited:
Fantastic videos.

I just want to send Albert a proper spanner wrench so he can stop banging on those shaft nuts with a damn screwdriver.

As an amateur that's only cleaned up and done minor repairs to machines that this one could chew up and spit out- I'm really looking forward to following this. Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

Here's our newest episodes for the Manual Lathe Rebuilding
STANKO 1M63 Manual Lathe - Bedways Regrinding
Please leave a like and subscribe on our channel as we constantly update new and used machine as well as machine tutorials and guides.

Back