What's new
What's new

Maryland area scraping

valensdiesel

Plastic
Hi everyone,

The punch line first, relevant details below. I'm looking for someone who can do scraping work in or around Baltimore MD. I don't mind traveling a bit, since I think I can just bring the actual parts to be refreshed without needing to lug the whole machine. Okay, now the details:

I've got a Reid 618V that has developed a bit of stick-slip in the Z (parallel to spindle) axis. The grinder still makes very nice parts (I can hold sub-tenths if I work at it, and I'm no expert at grinding), so think the machine is in overall decent shape and worth keeping. I ran the table all the way back and I was able to get my finger in there and found some grit in the oil in the ways, and I'm looking to rectify the issue. As I see it, I have three options:

1. Take it apart, clean it and stone off any gouges, etc, put it back together. It was running fine before, cleaning isn't likely to make it worse.

2. Same as above, but scrape in oil pockets. This was advised elsewhere on the forum as a reasonable "while-you're-in-there" type of improvement (https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...rface-grinder-restoration-please-help-366084/). Incidentally, mine is nearly the exact same grinder as in that post.

3. Pull both table and saddle and have them rescraped.

Now, I don't have any experience scraping, and although I'd like to learn, I don't think this is really the time for me to do so. I'm interested in getting estimates for what options 2 and 3 would cost me to have done, or failing that, if there is someone local that could offer pointers on option 2, should I have to do it myself. Please feel free to reply to the thread or PM me directly.

Thanks in advance.

Back